recurve Hoyt verta-tune & tiller effect

Hi Folks

Assuming that the nocking point is adjusted to be the same for each verta-tune position - Is there a rule of thumb for the tiller effect on a bow with the different verta-tune positions? ie high verta-tune requires more or less tiller for the same dynamic outcome?

The vertatune system will lift or lower the 'centeline' of the arrow in relation to the vertical centre of the bow - so the will be slightly 'more bow' above or below the arrow depending on the height of the rest-nocking point line.

it's only 1/8 inch above or below the middle (normal) verta-tune position - so maybe it's not worth considering in practice - but just in theory..... the tiller must also change slightly - but in what way?

my guess is that the higher the rest - the more power will come from the top limb - this is the same as increasing weight on the top limb ---- so raising the verta-tune will effectively reduce the (positive) tiller 'equivalent'?

does that sound right?

and lastly - might it be significant from a pure tuning theory perspective? (ignoring whether the archer is accomplished or not)

cheers

Al

Stretch

You're over-thinking.

If you leave all bow settings the same and move the rest up your fingers will move up (as the nocking point moves up) so technically you are working the top limb harder. i.e. Lower tiller once the bow is draw. Equally moving the draw hand down works the bottom limb harder.

But... your are part of that equation... how much everything moves, or needs to move, is a complex model. The tiller change may cause you to grip the string differently, it may cause a change of hand position, more relaxed, less relaxed, you may need to tweak your stabilisation to get a steady aim, and so on. So there is no fixed if you do this, you need to move that.

If you can keep your arrows in the yellow at 70m you are probably good enough to do proper testing on this and judge what after tuning works best through evaluation of the scoring.

Otherwise you go with feel... leave it in the middle and go with it. Or if you are "a believer" set it high and go with it. The important thing is that it feels good (number 1) and then that you use it as best you can dependent on your shooting ability (number 2) and then get confident that you have chosen the right setup by shooting it lots (number 3 but hugely important). If you are always second guessing which plate will work best, you'll never settle and never get the results you could get. Fine if your are just shooting for fun and enjoying exploring the equipment. Not fine if you are shooting for score.

Pick one, tune it, shoot it. Stop thinking.

IMHO

Stretch

Thanks Stretch - I fully understand the 'archer in the loop' - and the dangers of 'over-thinkin' - been around the block a few time now haha (too many times now)

my question was purely theoretical - and purely about the physics of the bow - for my own purposes - and your first para answered fine - thanks