Recurve Sight Window

iwebber

Being a newbie, I have rightly or wrongly received as a present a Petron Wooden Riser Leisure Bow! Having started to shoot with this, my club informed me that: The Sight Window is too thick (string lies parallel with cut out). Not able to set up centre shot!
Is it possible, will it compromise the strength, if i reduce the thickness by 4mm. This will leave the overall thickness at the sight window as 12mm. The bow is a 66"/34lbs.:poulies:

Murray

Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
I suggest you leave it alone - wooden risers are the shape they are because they are designed for strength and if you compromise that strength then on your own head be it. My first few years I shot with a wooden bow and still outshot most (sometimes all) of my clubmates. It's not the best, but it's not really bad - stick with it and work hard on your form.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I would shoot it and see how it goes.
If you have arrows that match the bow and your shooting,it should be possible to get good results.
If you take wood off the riser, it will weaken it. Whether it will be dangerously weakened or not, I can't say.

iwebber

Thanks Murray - how important is setting centre shot? I seem to consistently hit the gold with this setup - as you say, i will stick with it.

iwebber

Thanks - how important is setting centre shot? I seem to consistently hit the gold with this setup - as you say, i will stick with it.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Longbows have arrows that always point off to one side because the handle section isn't cut away at all.But they still work.
With modern bows it is possible to set the arrow dead centre, but few set up like that.
By cutting away the sight window, the arrow can be set on centre, or close to centre. Having that option available allows archers more adjustment to set up their bows to get the arrows flying nicely and straight ahead; so they can hit the centre at all distances without having to change the windage setting of the sight.( if they shoot well enough)
It is also possible, using a rest and a button, to have the fletchings passing the riser with less chance of contact.
With a sight window like yours, good results can be achieved. It is slightly less adjustable which means( I think) that you have a narrower choice of matching arrows. If your arrows are Ok then that isn't a problem.