String Recurve strings (whats the difference)?

vivilanco

To preface this: I was shooting indoors with the club a couple of weeks ago and one of the members strings failed (he was left with 2 or 3 strands holding the on for dear life at 3/4 draw). It was a nervous moment down the line but no one was hurt.

I currently use an 18 strand String Flex Fast Flight 68" string that came with my recurve (still on my first bow). I'm am considering getting a spare for the quiver so I thought I'd have a look (via the magic man archery shop) at what's out there... Fast Flight, Dracon, Reign Customs... A newbie question but what is the difference in string materials? And does number of strands really make a difference (I'm guessing a higher number of strands produces more power?)?

Thanks

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Dacron (polyester) is an older material, reliable, but slow and stretchy.
Most modern recurve bows use variations on polyethylene (hmpe) - Dyneema, Fastflight... Sometimes other materials are added - gore fibres for instance.

There are also non-stretch materials like Vectran, which can be useful for compounds, but are not recommended for recurve bows.

There are minor differences in speed/durability between the different flavours of hmpe, and different strand thickness means that you need different numbers of strands to make a string to fit your nocks (it's not generally to do with performance).

AndyW

One of Waynes went pop at Severns as well, so if it was Waynes that went on the line he might need to have a look at his bow.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Yes, I've never had one break (well, apart from a 5 strand flight string, which didn't actually break, just turning into a 66" elastic band). So it's worth checking if there's any rough bits round the limb tips, which can wear. Also, when storing strings, no sharp kinks!

Paul Maines

Ironman
Hi

I have been working towards my County Coach level and one of the topics set was to explain different strings etc...... I guess I must have done a reasonable job as my pass mark was 74% (so maybe 26% wrong!). I am not sure how to attach my piece of work but happy for you to email me on [email protected] and I will send you my work.

Hope I can help (probably in a small way).

Paul

I was shooting indoors with the club a couple of weeks ago and one of the members strings failed (he was left with 2 or 3 strands holding the on for dear life at 3/4 draw). It was a nervous moment down the line but no one was hurt.

I currently use an 18 strand String Flex Fast Flight 68" string that came with my recurve (still on my first bow). I'm am considering getting a spare for the quiver so I thought I'd have a look (via the magic man archery shop) at what's out there... Fast Flight, Dracon, Reign Customs... A newbie question but what is the difference in string materials? And does number of strands really make a difference (I'm guessing a higher number of strands produces more power?)?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

StevoNilo

Strings.... Yes you have to look after them. Inspect them before you string it to your bow. Any signs of fraying or broken strands then use another string. I number my strings and date the packet so i know how long I have had them in service. Its always good to have a clutch of strings in case you are concerned with one. If you have a clutch of strings then shoot them all in, by that I mean use them so that they are all pre stretched nicely. Like the previous posts all string materials have different qualities.
I use a 17 strand 8125 string for outdoor with my ACE arrows. When I shoot indoor then my 16 strand 8125 string seems to pair well with my ACC arrows. Its a bit of trial and error with them. This can only come with a bit of time shooting them. Also its a good idea to wax them occasionally. Not too often. I wax them then get a length of serving yarn and loop it round the strung up string and pull off any excess wax. So there is enough on the strands to keep them lubed and protected from the weather and natural oils from your skin.
Enjoy.

Erkat

How do you manage an odd number of strands on an endless/continuous loop recurve string?
When laying out the strands on the jig you just stop the final wind on the bottom peg instead of finishing at the top peg. So the two loose ends sit one per loop rather than both being in the top loop.

ben tarrow

When laying out the strands on the jig you just stop the final wind on the bottom peg instead of finishing at the top peg. So the two loose ends sit one per loop rather than both being in the top loop.
makes sense, though for some irrational reason, I'm uncomfortable with the two ends not being tied together :)

StevoNilo

Ben, I've been shooting 17 strand strings for ages and they've been absolutely fine. It's good once in a while to break the mould!

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I've shot my compound for the last 20 years without the ends being tied together. There is so much friction between the strands of any bow string once the serving is in place that trying to move them is all but impossible. I leave a little tail hanging out of the serving so that, should it move, it will be pulled into the serving and out of view. Never had one move so far.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
makes sense, though for some irrational reason, I'm uncomfortable with the two ends not being tied together :)
Think of it the other way round: a knot makes a weak point in the string, and distorts the serving... :devil:

If it helps, think about laying in, where the ends are many unknotted strands just twisted up. Not even served...

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I know I was suspicious when I first left the ends untied; I didn't served the end loops either, so my first few shots were a bit hesitant. After a year or so I stopped looking to see if the tails had been pulled inside the serving.If they were going to move they would start early in an attempt to even out any tensions differences.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Isn't that the material that's usually branded with an X and is not recommended for compounds?

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Isn't that the material that's usually branded with an X and is not recommended for compounds?
No, spectra is the brand of hmpe which was used for the original Fastflight. Another flavour of dyneema, in effect.