Reign Supreme strings and Bloodline Fibres

ArcheryFox

I'm sure some of you will have seen Simon's latest developments at Reign; the Reign Supreme series.

These are made with materials from Bloodline Fiber, 100% SK99 Dyneema.
They claim to have a synthetic coating that removes the need for waxing and to have double the lifespan compared to existing materials amongst several other selling points.
Note also that the same material is being used for both compound and recurve strings.

I've used Simon's strings for over 15 years since I started as a kid, and they have always been fantastically well-made.
If he thinks this is the best material I'll trust him on it, and probably be ordering a new set of these next time I need my bow re-stringing at the end of summer.

However, I was wondering what other people's thoughts on this were.
Given how dominant BCY is, especially on the compound strings scene, I'm surprised I've never heard of Bloodline before now. Did I miss something?
And what do people think about this new wax-less wonder material?
They also make a serving material (Boa) that will feature on the new Reign strings.
Does anyone have experience with these materials and how they compare to others, e.g. BCYX, Halo, etc.?

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I've never heard of Bloodline either - are they the reinvented Brownell? Dyneema's ok for recurves but the general advice is never to put vectran (anything with an X in the name like BCYX) on a recurve - there's too little stretch and it shortens the life of the limbs. It's great for short, thick wide limbs. Some manufacturers advise against it's use directly, others don't specifically say so but do recommend other materials. So I avoid and therefore cannot comment.
I've used Majesty and Majesty Pro for years, a 100% dyneema, without wax, so I'll be interested to see how this one shapes up. It seems to be pitched directly at Majesty.

ArcheryFox

I've never heard of Bloodline either - are they the reinvented Brownell?
Brownell still seem to be operating as a company, so I think Bloodline must be a new player. Glad it's not just me who's never heard of them.
Perhaps someone on here has though and can offer some insight.

I've used Majesty and Majesty Pro for years, a 100% dyneema, without wax.
I'll be disappointment if it's just BCY Mercury with a silicone compound coating.
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see if it is as much of a game changer as it's being advertised to be.

Also interesting is the fact that Simon is proposing using it for compound strings when X materials have been favoured here for minimal stretch recently. Or have string-making machines got to the point where they put so much tension on during the build process they remove the any creep the dyneema would experience strung to a compound?

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
Also interesting is the fact that Simon is proposing using it for compound strings when X materials have been favoured here for minimal stretch recently. Or have string-making machines got to the point where they put so much tension on during the build process they remove the any creep the dyneema would experience strung to a compound?
Especially when VEC99 is available for compounds from Bloodline. I wouldn't want to go back to compound sets with any creep at all.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
And if it's actually a new fibre, how much real world testing has gone on? (*tiptoes quietly back to the Majesty for a year or so*)

Stretch

I’d imagine that it will shoot like 8190 but lighter as there is no wax. The synthetic coating does sound a bit Majestyish. 8190 was OK on recurves, I tried it for a while but it didn’t really suit my bows And some colours are very waxy (also true of 8125 etc). My bows felt much tighter with Majesty and especially Majesty 777. Results wise all of the Majesties shoot the same ish. Feel wise, on my bows, 777 is a runaway winner. Not sure where the IZANAS HMPE dyneema sits property wise with SK99

Always interested in other serving options but Majesty is so good it is hard to imagine anything better. Maybe cheaper, but probably not!

Having just bought 3 rolls of 777 I’ll sit back on watch on this one ;)

Stretch