Release aid returns

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
I initially thought that, but I don't think a security seal is a warranty seal. They state '...and any product without the warranty seals intact will be deemed to have had any warranty invalidated ' which they can't state if you need to break the seal to get the thing out of the package. Just because they write it in their terms does not make it enforceable and may constitute an 'Unfair Contract'. It does, however, give an idea of who you are dealing with and whether it will be worth the hassle, I suspect, you will have to go through :(

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Ah that's not good then :( Thanks your input though
That's just for warranty purposes. It can't impact your distance selling rights.
But then Alternative always did try it on with that kind of thing - used to be hell trying to get them to accept returns under the sale of goods act.

inthemiddle

All things considered I reckon I'm stuck with it anyway. So I decided to shoot it over the weekend. It can't be all bad as I shot a 580 Portsmouth with it. I reckon I'll get used to it. I will be mindful when I buy stuff like this again though.

inthemiddle

The last email I have says they cant sell it now as its been used. It's OK I wont use them again and advise others to be wary of the returns on release aids, ie you can't

4d4m

The last email I have says they cant sell it now as its been used. It's OK I wont use them again and advise others to be wary of the returns on release aids, ie you can't
It's irrelevant whether they can sell it again or not. That's not how consumer protection works.
However now that you have used it after deciding initially that it did not fit, I suspect this would undermine any case for a refund.

Did you pay by credit card? Claim through them?
Very good point, but you only get that Section 75 protection if it was over £100

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
It's irrelevant whether they can sell it again or not. That's not how consumer protection works.
However now that you have used it after deciding initially that it did not fit, I suspect this would undermine any case for a refund.

Very good point, but you only get that Section 75 protection if it was over £100
But if it's just a normal "not fit for purpose" kind of return, then the CC company is still jointly liable, if the shop declines to accept it

4d4m

But if it's just a normal "not fit for purpose" kind of return, then the CC company is still jointly liable, if the shop declines to accept it
Yes that's correct.
I was replying separately to two points. My first one was that using the item for real after claiming it wasn't fit for purpose is likely to be seen as accepting it. It makes it harder to pass the reasonable person test.
Beforehand it's open packaging but otherwise new. Afterwards, it's just a used item.

inthemiddle

Yes that's correct.
I was replying separately to two points. My first one was that using the item for real after claiming it wasn't fit for purpose is likely to be seen as accepting it. It makes it harder to pass the reasonable person test.
Beforehand it's open packaging but otherwise new. Afterwards, it's just a used item.
Just taking it out of the packet as far as Alternative archery is concerned makes it a used item as the sealed stickers on the packet are broken. Basically don't buy a release aid unless you intend to keep it.

inthemiddle

I was posting as far as UK consumer regulations are concerned, not Alternative's view.
Indeed, however I now know the best plan is not to buy from Alternative archery. It's simply not worth the hassle. I was wrong in the fact that I didn't read their term & conditions too, even though I suspect they can't enforce them. I suspect getting a refund would prove very difficult and time consuming. I'm lucky with the fact I can work with the release aid after all so happy to keep it anyway. As said I won't use them again though.