Release issues - driving me mad!

adamroe

I'm having some very frustrating problems with my release that I don't seem to be able to iron out.

I've been having some coaching and have found out that I'm not quite doing what I thought I was on release. I knew I didn't have the best release but watching the videos was quite disheartening.

Basically I've been letting my draw hand drop down on release (almost a downward flick of the hand) and then it comes back up to my shoulder. Its been likened to a scooping action.

I've tried all sorts but it still happens to varying degrees. What's really interesting though is that when I practice with a cliniband my release is fine.

Any ideas and/or suggestions?

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I can think of two reasons why the draw hand drops.One is that you are deliberately pushing it down at the point of release( even if you are unaware you do ). The other is that the draw elbow is being dragged down during the follow through, and the draw hand follows it. The scooping up after is simply an attempt to correct a mistake.
The release is the part that is done without thinking about it. I feel that is the most important way to look at it.
When you have a release problem,the first thing you do is try to change it. Then what? You start thinking,yes?
So, how to change it without thinking??
I would try drawing the last part of the draw with the draw elbow staying level. If you normally draw the elbow down, then level will feel like uphill to you when you first change. Conentrating on the elbow will keep the mind off the release. After every shot you should be able to answer this question," Did you drop the elbow or did it stay level during the follow through?"
If the problem is brought on by pushing the drawing hand down without being aware, then it would be worth considering the contact bewteen index finger and under the jaw at full draw.That should feel solid, and should remain solid even after the arrow is on its way.Often,the contact is too light; sometimes the platform takes away the sense of finger against jaw. So, shoot with a solid contact, and feel that all the way to the end.( the hand will eventually separate,but don't make it separate. It will happen by itself.)
When trying to make changes to form, it is very easy to want to shoot normal rounds and keep scores. That leads to changes being put aside for the safety of the old routine. Form changes are better made when there is nothing to distract from those changes. No scores; no rounds, no need to score well.Making the changes are better done when the shooting format is as different as possible from routine. By that I mean shoot with a different goal in mind. Take away the sight and the gold. Shoot up the field to see where the arrows land. Use the point of the arrow on a clump of grass, or a flag stuck in the ground at 60y or so. The intention is not to hit the flag, but not to miss the archery ground!! Just shoot, and enjoy the freedom. If you are using a clicker, try to get through with no hesitation. If you shoot without a clicker try to get the arrow away without stopping the draw. Do not stop the draw just to get the arrow point dead on the flag. If the arrow point is close enough to the flag( or clump) shoot..... remember all you want is not to miss the archery ground. Doing things that way,is very different from routine and it is easier to work on changes.
Once you start to feel that you are succeeding with shooting arrows up the field, without stopping the draw for anything, you should start to see the arrows getting closer together in the grass. That should give you a positive sense that things are improving.
Next, start to watch the bow hand during the shot sequence. As you have become used to aiming( simply) with the arrow point, looking at the bow hand instead is only a small change. Aim with the knuckle that is easiest to pick out against the flag. The arrows will land a bit to one side of the other groups and possibly a bit further down range. That is to be expected; you have adjusted the "sight" heehee??
Once you are used to doing that, keep your eye on the bow hand for longer than normal. Watch it after the arrow is released. Try to see which way it moves. You are now trying to let the hand stay on target more or less. Not forcing it but "allowing it" to stay on target. It may twitch a little, but it shouldn't drop like a brick, nor should it flick over to the right( if you are right handed archer). When you succeed in watching the hand and find it is staying close to the target after release, you should also find that the hand's final position on any shot, will give you a clue about where the arrow will be.

M

Moose

A good release means the arm travels in a straight line, however, this requires correct alignment which is sometimes not possible due to incorrect draw length.

If your draw length is wrong you will always be correct with a clini band so the error would never show up when not using the bow.

posted by moose on the loose

adamroe

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated and some very good advice.

I stopped scoring the other week as I could see myself going for scores as opposed to focussing on form so will continue with this and try without a sight as you suggest retiredgeoff.

Another point I should have added was that I have a notoriously high elbow on my draw arm and have been working on bringing that down to a better position. I seem to have made improvement here but still have the same hand dropping problem.

I'm hopeful that arrow length isn't the issue as I've not long since bought these arrows.

So a plan is forming in my mind, I think I will get a club bow and some long arrows out this week and have a try at the things retiredGeoff suggests with those. If this sorts me out then I guess it's time to put my hand in my pocket again.

I'll let you know how it goes.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Using a light club bow is a great idea for making changes to posture. I use an elastic string. It has end loops and fits any bow. It is fitted to any archer's bow after they string it with their normal string. They then pull the elastic string which is very easy to draw. High elbows can be corrected without having to move the arm around at full draw and under high stress.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Back tension.

A droppy or scoopy hand is often an indicator, along with odd elbow/shoulder positions of lack/poor/inconsistent back tension. Possibly why it's ok with a cliniband too.

adamroe

Using a light club bow is a great idea for making changes to posture. I use an elastic string. It has end loops and fits any bow. It is fitted to any archer's bow after they string it with their normal string. They then pull the elastic string which is very easy to draw. High elbows can be corrected without having to move the arm around at full draw and under high stress.
This sounds interesting, not heard of an elastic string before. Is this something freely available from archery suppliers or is this something you've developed?

D

Deleted member 7654

Easy fix.
Stop it! ;)
Forget about everything else and just get some practice at any old range, no sights, clickers, stabilisers etc. Just concentrating on keeping you hand locked to you chosen anchor, absolutely no difference before and after loose. (Superglue or velcro may help ;) )
It's about the only thing I ever read in a GNAS (or Archery GB/World archery or whatever they are calling themselves this week) magazine written by some top lady archer it certainly helped my consistency. With longbow and traditional archery we are plagued by this daft idea that you throw back your hand as if knocking a parrot off your shoulder :(
Del

Chil

As to elastic string at my club we have a similar bow, all we have done is to take an old beginners bow and turn the limbs around so they face backwards and string the bow with catapult elastic you can show beginners how to draw with no poundage to draw against and if they let go of the elastic string it does not cause any damage to the bow.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
This sounds interesting, not heard of an elastic string before. Is this something freely available from archery suppliers or is this something you've developed
Hi, It isn't archery specific it is shock cord, the stuff they use for luggage on roof racks sometimes. It comes in different thicknesses( strengths) The end loops are from bow string as it needs to fit the nocks at the limb tips. One of these fits any length bow apart from the very short ones.
I bought mine at a well know DIY outlet.