Removing String Follow

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I have a triple laminate English longbow. The laminates are Lemonwood belly. Purpleheart core and (I think) Hickory back. The lover limb was bent (to train it on the tillering tree) a bit to keenly. The lower limb has developed a 'curve' a bit like string follow. The upper limb is straight. The glue used for the laminates was Cascamite (I was told). Is it possible to remove this curve. The bow shoots fine.

D

Deleted member 7654

Not really with a laminate. With a self bow you can do it, and possibly with a backed bow if you can keep the heat off the glue line.
No chance with a triple laminate, short of rasping off the entire belly and sticking on a new one!
The lower limb is prone to going weak, which is why they are generally tillered stiffer, you could possibly turn the bow up the other way and see if looks better that way. On some bows I've had to reverse them during the tillering process. Easy to make the mistake of thinking a bow is symmetrical... it's not.
In the interests of completeness, wood becomes plastic at 100 degrees C, it actually hardens at about 200C. To take the set out of a self bow limb it can be strapped up straight at 100C then taken up to 200C (keeping the heat on the belly only) this will stiffen up the limb gaining several pounds on the limb assuming the heat is applied for long enough and evenly.
You can see the chances of doing this on a triple laminate without spoiling the glue are pretty minimal.
Del