repairing serving on horsebow string?

Sieddy

Hi guys the serving on my bowstring is unravelling where i nock the arrows. The arrow nocks are quite narrow and the servings quite fatso the threads have been worn and torn with repeated nocking and release. The rest of the string is in good order so I'm wondering if there's a quick and easy patch i could do for the serving at this point? Thanks Simon ☺

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I think that you just need to replace the serving. It's a bit fiddly but not difficult. Another archer could show you or there are plenty of tutorials on YouTube. It's a useful skill to have and a good first step towards making your own strings.

Sieddy

Thanks for the feedback guys, It's much appreciated. But not really what i wanted to hear as I've had a go at serving strings before without much luck. I guess id best try harder! ��
Wotcha Del nice to see ya on another channel! ��

Corax67

Whereabouts are based ? If you are local to one of us or a club then I'm sure we can help you out by serving it for you, once you've practised the technique a few times you can centre serve in under 10 minutes. Admittedly the closing knot is fiddly but i find a very fine crochet hook helps me loop the end back through nice and easily.

Happy to help out if you are anywhere near Maidstone or its environs.

If you can do without it for a couple of days the many be popping it in the post might be an option?

Karl

Sieddy

Hey Karl thanks so much for your kind suggestions and offer, its greatly appreciated! I'm in Oxford, so not too handy for Maidstone.
I would be happy to put the string in the post and pay return postage to get it reserved actually. Thanks again for the input! 😊

Sieddy

Thanks for your input guys. I have been to Oxford archers and they are a great and hospitable bunch of folks. As soon as i get a bit more free time from work and family ill definitely become a regular member! ��

ben tarrow

Thanks for your input guys. I have been to Oxford archers and they are a great and hospitable bunch of folks. As soon as i get a bit more free time from work and family ill definitely become a regular member! ��
Just pop along, show some interest and ask if anyone can repair your string

Sieddy

A noble member of this very forum sorted my string out for me. I'm very grateful to that unsung hero and mightily impressed by the spirit of this fine community. I'm especially pleased to be back shooting my beloved Sarmat archery horsebow! Thanks team! ☺