Replica horsebow

PLEASE HELP TO FUND ARCHERY INTERCHANGE

barney

Hi,

This is a lightweight replica I made earliar this year for learning the Thumbring:

Hickory core under brown glass, purpleheart tips; 22lb draw weight; 11oz total weight; string lenth 47inches.

regards

Del the Cat

That is soooo pretty. :)
Really nice, what adhesives did you use? Have you shot it for distance? (idle curiosity as to how far you'll get out of 22lb?).
I'm not even slightly jealous :liar:
Del

barney

Hi,

The bow was glued together with smooth-on epoxy, with the stress areas being wrapped in 50lb nylon monofilament. These wrappings were then covered in satin ribbon for the ?snakey? look. Several coats of clear auto lacquer were used to bond these ribbons to the bow.

I have to confess to cribbing the aesthetic from Spitfire Horsebows in Canada.

I?m not sure how far it will shoot as I?ve only used it indoors at 18m so far. I made it a light draw weight on purpose to learn the ring. Having said that, as it?s short with low limb mass it does seem quite fast for its size, though I doubt it?ll be setting too many distance records.

Schoonertom

Hi, another fine bow. I don't think poundage was that critical for horseback hunting or warfare Indians were feet away from the buffaloes they killed and most hunting on foot is done at close range and the hun relied on speed of horse and to attack at close range didn't need great poundage just good cast.
Tom