Resetting your mind

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
My son is always the only compound unlimited archer so both wins and loses every time! I need to invent my own very unpopular category.

LittleSkink

I'd second building your own woodies to save a few bob and for the fun of it. A jig, some fletching tape and a few bits, off you go. I want to learn how to do the medieval string wrapping thing next

Also, you may have already noticed, custom wooden arrows can be cheaper than ready mades. Merlin do custom for about £70 a dozen as do many others like KG, Custom, Aardvark, and you get to pick all manner of colour combinations

Woodies are definitely fragile (for me as a novice) - already have a box of broken arrows, but I get them full length. Usually the tip breaks off, so I eventually get a second set that are slightly shorter

I keep thinking about getting hold of some Tophat extender tips, they fit straight on to an arrow that has broken at the tip, because they are longer tips the arrow length matches the unbroken arrows - alas they only come in aluminium field point whereas I tend to shoot brass bullet tips

Another thing I have done is get some paper animal targets to plink at, the whole hitting gold thing (have heard it called centre punching) is too competitive for me when I am using a trad bow and wooden arrows on a sunny evening

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Oops sorry @LittleSkink I missed this post! After pulverising a Mac I’ve ordered half a dozen more.
I’m using a technique called “shoot loads of arrows every day” to try and sharpen up my accuracy. It’s definitely improving but there are always a couple of “flyers.” No shoulder issues at all; hooray!

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
I forgot to warm up earlier; immediate rhomboid discomfort! So warmed up, all fine.
So definitely essential now!

Corax67

I forgot to warm up earlier; immediate rhomboid discomfort! So warmed up, all fine.
So definitely essential now!
You absolutely must warm up mate - I’ve done my second Saturday session without the slightest twinge which I regard as miraculous even on baby kit (24# limbs).

Taken a bit of ribbing but now there are 4 of us warming up - I think it’s contagious - and hopefully more will join in as time goes on.

Throughout the week in doing the warmup before going into the warehouses too as well as doing a 10 minute skills and drills session before I leave the house. Not anticipating going anywhere near my longbow until next year but today I was grouping everything inside the red at 30yds and it’s giving me a lot of positivity.

Hadn‘t intended to shoot at a target face but a junior from the last 2020 beginners course has been struggling & not gelling with the beginners course coach. His dad asked if I could spend some time with him so in joined him at 30yds for the morning.

Karl

Eugen

You absolutely must warm up mate - I’ve done my second Saturday session without the slightest twinge which I regard as miraculous even on baby kit (24# limbs).

Taken a bit of ribbing but now there are 4 of us warming up - I think it’s contagious - and hopefully more will join in as time goes on.

Throughout the week in doing the warmup before going into the warehouses too as well as doing a 10 minute skills and drills session before I leave the house. Not anticipating going anywhere near my longbow until next year but today I was grouping everything inside the red at 30yds and it’s giving me a lot of positivity.

Hadn‘t intended to shoot at a target face but a junior from the last 2020 beginners course has been struggling & not gelling with the beginners course coach. His dad asked if I could spend some time with him so in joined him at 30yds for the morning.

Karl
Very well done Karl! Great achievement! I like your attitude and approach! Keep going!

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Sounds good Karl! What bow is that. I’m hitting the boss every time at 18 yards (!) with the occasional yellow but not enough. A long way to go but definitely enjoying it.

Corax67

Sounds good Karl! What bow is that. I’m hitting the boss every time at 18 yards (!) with the occasional yellow but not enough. A long way to go but definitely enjoying it.
I’m back on my recurve - 25” Inno CXT riser, medium 24# @68” Hoyt wood core limbs, W&W 30” HMC long rod, Shibuya dual click sight, button and rest. Putting a very soft and ancient set of gold 1716’s through it so occasional flyers are to be expected

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
I’m back on my recurve - 25” Inno CXT riser, medium 24# @68” Hoyt wood core limbs, W&W 30” HMC long rod, Shibuya dual click sight, button and rest. Putting a very soft and ancient set of gold 1716’s through it so occasional flyers are to be expected
Ahh okay; it was also a bare bow I’d be worried/impressed!
Looks like our range is opening next week but my real goal is to shoot in the club woods; still some way off as the darned contractors are there!!

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
We’re finally off to the club next Wednesday so my son shot for the first time in ages; he definitely hasn’t lost it. He’s also showing a lot of talent air rifle shooting; he hit a bean can at 70 yards free standing last week; first time!
My daughter (10) is also showing an interest; used a basic decathlon bow with my son’s carbon arrows and she loved it.

My groups are getting tighter too; all looking positive! The fun is back!

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
A fun night at the club; just targets at 20 yards but most hit. My son is now way way more accurate than me… (compound).
Something was said about brace height and setting something when I string my flat bow but I didn’t quite catch it… anyone know what that might be?! Also seems like I might have the wrong type of stringer for the bow. Oops.

4d4m

Sounds like just setting the brace height. There's nothing else to set on a flatbow apart from nock height. Your string may have stretched a little since new, you might need to put a few more twists in it. The manufacturer should have a recommended range, and it's worth experimenting a little within that range to find the one that gives least vibration and/or best arrow flight.

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Sounds like just setting the brace height. There's nothing else to set on a flatbow apart from nock height. Your string may have stretched a little since new, you might need to put a few more twists in it. The manufacturer should have a recommended range, and it's worth experimenting a little within that range to find the one that gives least vibration and/or best arrow flight.
Great; thank you! ‘Tis a dark art to me thus far!

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
Says a compounder! o_O
It’s far less nuanced. You get your kit, follow a very narrow set of rules and shoot. Fixed “wall” on the string, very precise draw point on the d-loop, a precise scope to peek through.
Traditional archery seems to require a less formulaic approach.

4d4m

It’s far less nuanced. You get your kit, follow a very narrow set of rules and shoot. Fixed “wall” on the string, very precise draw point on the d-loop, a precise scope to peek through.
Traditional archery seems to require a less formulaic approach.
Just joshing. Always seemed more like a dark art to me with your dozen kinds of weird release aids and impenetrable adjustments. Seems quite alien, set apart from all other styles. Even recurve is doing much the same as trad, just with more bits on the bow.