Revelation

MikeD

I've been shooting recurve on and of for a while continuing mainly as a compound archer. I'm enjoying the recurve and may decide to make it my main discipline.

Last night someone pointed out that for IFAA field archery I can use a peep sight. So I fitted one. Once I got passed the issues with getting it to line up at anchor I started to get exceptional results at 20 yards. I came to realise that many of the bad shots that had felt good probably were good shots, except I had failed to get a consistent anchor or sight picture.

Anyway in case I want to shoot target as well as field I want to find out how to reproduce that accuracy of the rear sight, without a peep. I need reading glasses, so the string is a very wide blur. A kisser might help with the anchor.

How can I get a reproducible string picture when I can barely see the string?

Are some colours of string easier to see than others?

worthipa

Supporter
Supporter
How can I get a reproducible string picture when I can barely see the string?

Are some colours of string easier to see than others?
You've got the usual choice, "do I want to see the string" or "do I want to see the target"? If you want to see the string wear your glasses, most people are happy to let the string blur so long as they can see the target properly.

I find dark strings easier to see outdoors.

MikeD

You've got the usual choice, "do I want to see the string" or "do I want to see the target"? If you want to see the string wear your glasses, most people are happy to let the string blur so long as they can see the target properly.

I find dark strings easier to see outdoors.
Thanks, I would never have thought of shooting in my reading glasses, but I might just try that. I don't mind the target being blurred. (It probably helps).

I was shocked at the difference when shooting with the peep, I think being able to see the string better will help a lot.