Reversals

MikeD

Yes I did search, and I do know what reversals are...

Being a wuss compound archer I'm finding the return to recurve hard work. Drawing the bow is easy, but aiming and completing the shot is hard work after a while. So I thought, time to do some reversals.

As I said I'm a compound wuss and 30 minutes of 30-second reversals is not going to happen with my bow. So am I better to do 30 minutes of 30-second reversals with a stretchy band (or lighter limbs), or start off with 20 minutes of 20 second reversals and build up to 30 minutes of 20 seconds. Then 30 minutes of 25 seconds etc?

Hidden Hippo

I'm personally doing shorter reps (15 seconds at the moment) for a period amounting to two episodes of Scrubs or oneepisode of Heroes, dependant on what I'm watching at the time. I have wound my limbs down a little though but I've probably not lost quite as much muscle mass as I would have as I only stopped recurve indoors in December.

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
Although I am a recurver....I have only just started to do reversals...

Started the following last night:

2 minutes timed duration (kinda in line with an indoor comp...)
at least 3 full reversals, holding for min. 10sec each (again in line with most indoor comps)
2 mins rest

Keep going until I am starting to really struggle to maintain form. (or wife starts moaning...whatever happens first...)

I have also got some light wrist weights (1lb) which I wear while doing the reversals. With the idea that the increase in weight will aid stability & stamina later on.

archer_thom

I think the best thing to do would be to start with regular but not exhausting sessions - you're better off doing 20 sets of 10 than 10 sets of 20, as this will help the development of slow twitch muscle fibres which are handy for archery.

I think.

Endurance over power, anyway.

Murray

Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
30 mins is a goal for the fit.

1 . Start with 30s up, 30s down for 10 minutes.

2 . If that's too much, try 20s up, 30s down for 10 minutes

3. If that's too much, try 10s up, 30s down for 10 minutes

4. If that's too much, get a lighter bow and go to 1 :)

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Being a wuss compound archer I'm finding the return to recurve hard work
It's only because you're just a mere mortal, Mike. Don't sweat it.

:lookaroun My other bow's a Hoyt Nexus (jet black) with SF Carbon Foam Limbs, Sorry Clicki... :lookaroun
I'm heartbroken. But then, you're just a mere mortal, Mike. Don't sweat it.

:raspberry :burp: :laughing:

MikeD

30 mins is a goal for the fit.

1 . Start with 30s up, 30s down for 10 minutes.

2 . If that's too much, try 20s up, 30s down for 10 minutes

3. If that's too much, try 10s up, 30s down for 10 minutes

4. If that's too much, get a lighter bow and go to 1 :)
Thanks Murray I'll try for 10 minutes of 30 seconds up 30 seconds down next time and see how I get on. I've been doing 20 seconds up and 50 down for 20 minutes so far.

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
I'm glad you got in with that Murray before I made a t*tt of myself by saying its because you reverse the shot i.e. don't shoot it.

:knockout:

Murray

Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Try dragging your mouse over my full post, above, to see the hidden text :D

King Custard

So reversals are called such because they proactively enforce adaptation between the tellic and paratellic states conceptualising the cognitive ability to attain a fuller experience upon the individual. I can see how this would be of a benefit by providing a less limited constraint area regarding ones level of arousal, and thus providing further coping strategies under conditions of stress such as in competition.
Or have I misundertood?

MikeD

So reversals are called such because they proactively enforce adaptation between the tellic and paratellic states conceptualising the cognitive ability to attain a fuller experience upon the individual. I can see how this would be of a benefit by providing a less limited constraint area regarding ones level of arousal, and thus providing further coping strategies under conditions of stress such as in competition.
Whatever :duck:

MikeD

Well they work anyway. Last night I managed to shoot 5 dozen without any great problem. Last Sunday I was struggling after just 2 dozen or so. I'm sure its the result of two sets of reversals and nothing at all to do with getting the clicker positioned properly ;) Oh no! Clickers and reversals in one thread... Now how about Triples for shooting outdoors? :duck: