Reverse calculating arrow spine

Matblack

Hello

First question here for about 10 years

My daughter has started archery and I picked up a kit from Ebay for her, the bow and limbs aren't right for her, neither are the arrows but I found them quite interesting (but the bag and other bits are great for the price I got them for).

Its a 21" riser with 23H-64"-22lbs limbs which would presumably be 24lbs on the 21" riser. Its far too short and far too heavy for her but the rest of the kit is great.

However the arrows are 26 3/4" Easton Jazz 1214s, isn't that spine completely off for that set up? Surely those are only suitable for shooting out of a 5lbs bow?

He new bow is 66" 14lbs and the arrows are 27 1/2" 1416s

The reason I ask is i'll probably move the 21" riser, limbs and arrows on but I am loath to sell someone a kit which won't work together and if the spine is completely off I'll sell them as separate lots as I would hate to be responsible for someone getting frustrated and giving up.

Thanks in advance

Matblack

It was a bargain for the sight, bag, stabiliser, and other accessories alone. They fit the colour scheme she wants which means nothing to me but a lot to her 😁

Even if I can't move the bow and arrows on I still feel I got good value and I'll give them to a local club. 🙂

LionOfNarnia

Supporter
Supporter
Agreed that those arrows are way too bendy for those limbs.

- way too bendy for just about everything! I'd hardly trust them to hold up a young tomato plant!

jonUK76

I think some of the smaller juniors at my club use them. On the spine charts they're good for up to about 20 lbs in a 24" arrow.

Matblack

Really?

I must be reading it wrong. I've measured them at 26 3/4" and with the limbs and short riser that came with the set it would be 24lbs @ 28"

26 or 27" would be between Y4 and Y6, as far as I can see 1214 are in group Y1

I'm happy to be wrong, if you are right this is a matched set and I can sell it with impunity :)

jonUK76

They are uncut arrows (stock length is 26.5). Possibly because they were for a child whose draw length is likely to change rapidly, so precise cutting to a draw length is likely to be a bad idea? It's also possible whoever had them previously was drawing them well short of their actual length. It would also be the case that the actual draw weight at a short draw length would be well under the value for 28" (perhaps, at a guess, 16-18 lb at 23"?). They may not be ideal matches but in those circumstances I doubt they'd be completely unsuitable either.

Matblack

That makes sense, thank you

I feel reassured that I could offer the riser limbs and arrows together without feeling that I was selling someone a set up which wouldn't work together

:beer: