Right Wing / Left Wing Feather Fletchings

SimonS

Apologies if this has been asked before !!
Just about to embark on making my first set of wooden arrows for my wifes longbow.
Currently trying to source first set of components and noticed you can get Right Wing & Left Wing feather fletchings.
Can someone explain what this is and what difference it makes.

My wife is Left Handed - does that influence anything ?

Thanks...

oldnut

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
from why I understand it just means they either come from the left or right wing of the bird (turkey?) and lefts will spin the arrow one way and rights the other, you cannot mix them on the same arrow or they will fight one another

They make no difference in relation to handedness; as Oldnut says, as long as you stick with one or the other on a given arrow they will be fine.

The only other consideration is direction of offset/helical (if you choose to use it, but I would recommend that you do), which needs to match the wingedness of the feather. The trueflight website has a useful guide here http://www.trueflightfeathers.com/guide.htm

Hope that helps

Dan

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Yep, makes no difference. Pick a wing; get a jig for that direction and stick with it. I went left wing for no better reason than a jig with a left wing clamp came up on ebay.

little-else

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Some manufacturers have a premium for right wing fletches, cant see why as turkeys have 2 wings so equally common. Want to use them for clout or flight? cutting the quill off will yield slightly better results but leave them prone to damage/moisture attack.

D

Deleted member 7654

Most of it has already been said.. but there is little need to offset ( or helically fletch) feathers as they are naturally curved and asymmetric, one face is also much smoother than the other. This will impart spin without the need for offsetting.
The only time it may be necessary would be if you wanted extra spin to avoid a broadhead arrow planing, which isn't going to happen in the UK.
Del

Gavin Eisler

Supporter
Supporter
Historically ,right handed archers with a med draw would use Left Wing feathers, possibly because when a natural quill pen was used the left wing quill sits better in the right hand of the writer. For arrow flight it makes no difference so long as all 3 feathers are off the same wing, the arrow does not start to spin until it has left the bow.