Sagittarius Blackboard missing?

Cereleste

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Does anyone know where the old Sagittarius Blackboard has gone? Is it still online at a different address, or are there any offline archives of it? It occasionally gets linked to in old forum posts. My search history shows I accessed a page there in late July, but more recently I'm just getting a blank each time my search engine brings up a page from there. A few cached pages show up on Google, but most of the time there's nothing.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Might not be the Sagi board. I'm getting nothing from margo.student.utwente.nl at all...

JohnK

That is a shame.

The original bulletin board and later forum incarnation had a wealth of information and useful discussion, the occasional bust-up notwithstanding. It died a death when a certain moron spammed *every single discussion* with useless opinions, tipping the signal-to-noise ratio over a threshold where some of the most valuable contributors upped and left.

Stretch

It died a death when a certain moron spammed *every single discussion* with useless opinions
I resent that remark... :unsure:

Unfortunately the owner of the board did not want us to moderate the stupidity. Freedom of speech etc. So that’s the way it goes... wonder if the moron ...

a) now realises he was a moron
b) still shoots at all

Sigh.

JohnK

I'd put money on him being long since departed from the sport.

And do not get me started on the concept of freedom of speech on online forums...

Andy!

I think that board has been gone for quite a few years now. I'd say at least six and possibly more.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
? Not the archives of the original board... I went there a few months back, by accident. Spent a merry half hour digging through old posts (and remembering that while a blackboard is good for lively discussion, threading in a forum is a lot more readable)... I haven't been to the forum that replaced it in years, though.

I seem to recall Texarc had some digests of the old board extracted on the Texas State site, a while back. Don't know if they are still there.

JohnK

I popped back to both versions every so often, and am sure I did earlier this year. I suppose it was only a matter of time before they were dropped.

Rik - Ron may have some in his archives, but when he stepped away from archery the TSAA also decided to ditch all his carefully curated content.

Cereleste

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Hi Rik, thanks for the lead with texarc - Texas Archery updated its website a few years ago and in the process infortunately most of their archive seems to have dissappeared. They still have about 20 documents but that's it.

I've found (a small amount) of success using the wayback machine on http://sagittarius.student.utwente.nl/bb/. From the look of it, maybe about a fifth of the blackboard is preserved there - but the search function isn't (that I've figured out yet) so it's a bit hunting and clicking random links in hope of something useful. There's a few specific articles I'm looking for - one in particular mentionned in ArcheryTalk about Michele Frangilli playing around with a wooden starter bow to measure the points difference gained by fancy equipment.

JohnK

I seem to remember he scored around 540-550 on the WA18m with the wooden training bow and XX75s (plus stabilisers and clicker), and 590+ with his competition rig. Vittorio still pops up here occasionally, if that helps :)

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
I recall that, but it may have been more recent than the old blackboard. Around 2001? Maybe recounted in an article in Archery Focus...? I'll have to take a poke through the old issues.

Cereleste

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
It's back online! No idea how many days ago that happened, but I've now got the whole thing downloading overnight in case it disappears again.
Michele Frangilli's experiment is mentioned only once, in a 2005 post by Vittorio here Sagittarius Archery Blackboard • View topic - testing new limbs (and happened a few years prior to the post). He says it was published in the Italian magazine Arco at the time. I've looked through the Arco archive as far back as 1998 and haven't found anything by him or that looks like the same topic though. But I've also done a search through the full archive of Archery Focus and while Vittorio has many articles, I and haven't found it there either. The mystery continues.

Berny

Had a quick look & found an "interesting" (to me) short thread:

The link to the pics still works & show a 1973 County Archery "Impala", with limbs that look to have been made
by Border Bows....
.... County Archery were a dealer for Border in '73.

In '71 Kings of Kelso had a little-known "Take-Apart" that looks to be very similar to the "Impala" in the riser & limb fixing scheme.
Also very similar to the "Cheshire Aluminium Riser" marketed by Quicks from about '70 to '73/'74.

Is "David Egalton" the OP for this thread on Sagi still around?

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
Yay! Glad to see them back. Ploughing through the old board takes me back. Stretch was on there from the start, I think. I only joined around page 15...

Stretch

A Phoenix rising from the ashes or rec.sport.archery and to a lesser extent alt.archery. Just take a look at some of the names that were contributing. Shame really.

Stretch

mk1

It's an X
Supporter
I resent that remark... :unsure:

Unfortunately the owner of the board did not want us to moderate the stupidity. Freedom of speech etc. So that’s the way it goes... wonder if the moron ...

a) now realises he was a moron
b) still shoots at all

Sigh.
I remember when the moron's accolites thought he'd shot a 1400... shows how many posts were made in a short space of time