Samick risers

MWelch

Hi All. I?ve been using a club bow for the last 3 months and now want to take the plunge and buy my own. My local shop (30 miles or so) only seem to stock Core and Samick risers in the sub ?100 price range which is all I want to pay at the moment.

The risers I?m looking at are the Core Genoxo, Samick Ideal and Samick Avante. My question is what is the difference between the ideal and avante? Also the local shop only seem to stock the older version of the avante (2 tone). What is the difference between that and the
newer version (single colour)?

Ive tried looking online and asking others but nobody seems to know. Any help would be appreciated

jonUK76

Well I've never used or seen either, but to kick off the Samick Ideal is a lighter riser with a quoted weight of 1040 grams while the Avante is 1175 grams. As a beginner you may find the lighter riser less fatiguing (I certainly found a metal riser quite tiring to lift for a full session at first, when I moved from a wood beginner bow). However you do get used to it...

As neither mention they are made from forged billet it's safe to assume they are both cast aluminium risers. Cast risers are weaker than forged, but with your budget, it's unlikely you'd get a forged model. They both seem to have the usual features (dual plunger button holes, multiple stabilizer bushings, provision to attach a clicker etc.). There may be differences in the tiller/alignment system but it's not apparent from the photo's I can find. I dare say you should be able to try them both out at a shop, and that is going to be the best way to decide which is the better for you. They may vary in things like grip shape and feel, weight distribution, how well they absorb vibration etc. which won't be discovered without shooting them.

TBH I'm a bit confused why they would release two risers at the same price point, but there you go.

MWelch

Thanks for your reply. I hadn’t realised the ideal was lighter so that is good to know. Yes, I intend to try them but just wanted to be a bit more clued up before I bought. As you say, I will probably go with what feels right when I try them, especially if there’s not a huge difference between them

jonUK76

The Core Gonexo riser is a development of the Core Air, which I've seen a few people using at the club. Yes it's a very light riser, and probably best used with lower draw weight limbs. It has a limb alignment adjustment using eccentric tiller bolts. Online I've found the Kinetic Heat being sold for around ?100 which is a forged alloy riser made in the Win & Win factory, which looks good value at the price.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
The alignment system on the samicks appears to be one of the washer or screw bolt types (from the pictures on the samick site). I prefer that to the eccentric bolt type, which can be tricky.
All three risers are painted rather than anodized, so the finish may chip.
The style of the gonexo irritates me - flat surfaces like an early machined riser. Corners like that are stress points. Probably not an issue on beginner kit with lighter limbs, but it's still poor design.
The Avante has a look I like, more flowing and curvy, but that's personal preference.

MWelch

Thanks for the advice. After trying the 3 risers out I went for the Samick ideal. I preferred both the Samick to the core but found the avante to be too heavy for me. The ideal apparently is 1040g and the avante 1175g (if I remember correctly) which doesn’t seem too great a difference but in reality the ideal seemed far lighter and more manageable for me to hold over a mornings shoot.

Now just have to get used to it. Feels like I’m starting out all over again but hopefully things will improve quickly

8ballali

Looking at the same price range for later in the year. Thanks for the info guys.
I was pretty much set on the Avante. Didn't know the Kinetic was made by Win & Win. Had never heard of Samick Ideal.
Just when i thought the choice was simple, you lot have confused me with options. 😂Looking forward to trying them.