Samick SKB 50 - need advice

Ric O'shay

Hellooo

My apologies if this is not in the correct section

I have been reading about these bows but it seems the more i read the more confused i get.
Is the draw weight measured at 28, 29 or 30" for these bows?

With my recurve my draw length is a fraction over 29", when i bought the bow the shop said this meant i was drawing about 25.5 pounds using 24# limbs. I now find quite easy and intend to increase to 28Ib limbs

With that in mind....
If I were to buy an SKB 50 what would you advise I go for poundage wise?
Will be used out to about 35 yards, at the moment I am thinking the 30# bow would suite.

I have read that some users suggest using arrows for a lower poundage bow but cant understand why this would be.
Any recommendations on arrows for a 30# bow?

Regards

Newbee Nige

TJT

I have a 28.75 inch drawlength and had a Kaya Windfighter which is quite similar to the SKB. It felt about 10lbs lighter than my recurve.

If you want about 30lbs on the fingers I would go for either a 35 or 40 lb marked bow.

Riceburner

The Samick SKB50 and Mind50 were measured at approx 32" (so I'm led to believe). Ie, drawing to (or slightly beyond) the ear, which is traditional when shooting off the thumb. My bow is rated at 60lb, but using fingers I'm estimating that I'm drawing something around 55lb (drawing to the face). My arrows are 11/32" - 55-60 with 80 thou offset and 100g piles (but not sure how that helps you!). The bows can be 'over-drawn' by quite a lot I'm told!

I'd recommend trying different spined arrows until you find the best match to the bow - see if anyone close to you does that as a service. (I know Carol Edwards does, but she's down south near Leatherhead).

Ric O'shay

Many thanks for the replies.
After reading them i called one of the local shops and it turns out i need not have worried.
They said the bow would be checked at my draw length before being sold and if I collect they could check my draw length as well.
Even checked to see if my existing arrows might match the bow i want.
With that sort of service offered i have already booked an afternoon off.

Last edited:

Ghenghis khan't

I love the Samick SKB bow & have had 4 of different weights. But it has it's oddities. The draw length is measured at 30 inches rather than the standard 28 inches used for most other bows. It is sometimes described as drawing up to as much as 35 inches, but it varies from bow to bow. One of my bows stacks terribly just past 30 inches & won't make 32 inches. Also they usually come several pounds below their stated weight. My 35lb is 27lb at 30 inches, my 40lb is 35lb & my 60lb is 54lb; so 5-8lbs below is quite common.
They are lovely to draw though, very smooth, compact & reasonably priced.

Riceburner

Many thanks for the replies.
After reading them i called one of the local shops and it turns out i need not have worried.
They said the bow would be checked at my draw length before being sold and if I collect they could check my draw length as well.
Even checked to see if my existing arrows might match the bow i want.
With that sort of service offered i have already booked an afternoon off.
How did you get on?

- - - Updated - - -

I love the Samick SKB bow & have had 4 of different weights. But it has it's oddities. The draw length is measured at 30 inches rather than the standard 28 inches used for most other bows. It is sometimes described as drawing up to as much as 35 inches, but it varies from bow to bow. One of my bows stacks terribly just past 30 inches & won't make 32 inches. Also they usually come several pounds below their stated weight. My 35lb is 27lb at 30 inches, my 40lb is 35lb & my 60lb is 54lb; so 5-8lbs below is quite common.
They are lovely to draw though, very smooth, compact & reasonably priced.
What do they measure at 32"?

Ric O'shay

Opted for a bow marked as 30#. Measured my draw length with it at 28" and the bow weighed spot on 30#.
Its great fun and attracts attention when ever I use it.