Sanding a wooden riser?

LittleSkink

Not sure if this is in the right place?

I have a wooden riser and want to make some minor tweaks to the shape in the grip area. There are some small angular parts I want to smooth out and they are away from the narrowest (weakest) past of the grip

My 2 part question - (i) I assume that will be fine as only a tiny amount of material is being removed and its not in the groove of the riser which as the smallest cross section (ii) how to I refinish the surface?

Its an Oak Ridge Shade 19" field riser, looks to be a resin bound layered wood construction

Graham Smith

AIUK Saviour
I don't have an answer to your query but I am very interested in any replies you get. I have an Oakridge Shade riser too and have the same problem ie; the grip is a bit too thick for my liking.

Looking forward to, hopefully finding a solution.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I've refinished a few wooden bows and one piece of advice I'd give is to work out what you are going to refinish the item with before you start.

If you choose the wrong varnish, something that's incompatible with what's there already, you can get adhesion problems, fisheyes, refusal to go on smoothly, and end up having to strip the whole thing and start again. Ask me how I know...

Do a test patch before you start.

LittleSkink

so its going to be varnished / lacquered?

Makes sense for mass produced product but a pain to refinish, I usually oil my woodwork and was planning to oil finish - but NOT planning to completely refinish

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
It will probably have some sort of varnish on it.

Aerosol polyurethane varnish is an easy option, easy to get, reasonably hard wearing but it can react with an existing finish as it did on one of my bows after a handle repair, hence my warning. I ended up sanding the finish off back to the first edge and finishing that area with tung oil. It worked ok; it wasn't invisible but it was perfectly acceptable.

I'd give even the tung oil a test though, with a drop on an area you're going to sand anyway.

Guthormsen

If the riser is epoxy impregnated, called Pakka wood actualy, you can sand it down and simply buff it and the epoxy will gĺoss up as if finished.
If a varathane finish a couple options available. 1. strip entire riser and finish entire riser with finish of choice. Ì prefer many coats of hand rubbed oil finish, watco sweedish oil works fine. final coats are wet sanded with oil and sanded 400 gr., let get tacky then rub out and let dry.
patching up you can coat the atch with sheĺac, it adhesises to virtually anything. either finish with it, or then coat with a stronger finish.
3rd paint the riser camo.
Have fun