Barebow Selecting the right arrow for stringwalking indoors

JohnK

The indoor season is upon us, and my first as a stringwalker. I'm hoping to get some advice on how to select an aluminium arrow that will come close to getting the point on the target face.

Currently, I'm shooting a Border Tempest 25in with XL CV-H limbs, giving 37.5lbs at 31 3/4in draw. I'm shooting ACE 520s with 110gr points cut to 32 3/8in, and these fly beautifully straight.

I'm looking at the Easton X23, as it comes in a nice long stock length. However, I've never had to try calculating how much extra arrow length I might need to allow a stiffer arrow (such as a 2312 or 2314) to tune out of a lower poundage bow.

Any advice on this - and other selection criteria I should consider (fletching size, etc.) would be greatly appreciated :)

Valkamai

Hi johnk,
Firstly I don't think you'll get any arrow to give you point on on the gold at eighteen metres. I shoot x23 with 180gr points and I'm still stringwalking to my thirty metre mark.
Secondly why change if you've got arrows that fly so well ?
May I also suggest the British barebow indoor championship as an event to consider. End of November at several venues across the country.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

JohnK

I've read a number of posts in the past (mostly on US forums) about stringwalkers managing to get their point on the target face, or at least the bale. I want to minimise the crawl so I can get the straightest flight out of the bow possible.

I won't use my ACEs indoors; firstly because of the cost if something goes wrong, secondly because we shoot straw bosses inside, and I'd rather prolong their lifespan for outdoor shooting.

What poundage and draw length are you shooting, and how long are your arrows?

And yes, I'm aware of the BB indoor champs, but I'm not sure whether I can fit that in to my schedule just yet. Ta though :)

Valkamai

Poundage is 41.9Lb , draw length 27.5", arrows are 30"(nock groove to end of shaft). I have 3 inch feathers at the moment but am going to change then to four inch for the up coming season. I can understand why you wouldn't want to shoot into straw at that distance, we are fortunate enough to have layered foam at my club.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

backinblack

Hi John,

I don't know how much help this is and you may have gone through this already, but Archer's Advantage says that a 33 inch 2312 spined aluminium arrow (generic is the only option) is bang in the green for a draw weight of 38llbs and a 180 grain point. A 33.5 inch 2314 is marginal stiff. Your 520 ACEs show on the weak side of optimal.

Best,
John

JohnK

I probably should have mentioned that the ACEs have pin nocks; that would explain why they're shooting straight :)

That's very helpful, thank you. In theory, then, X23 2312s could be about right.