Setting 5-pin Sight

MikeD

I'm shooting IFAA field and hunter rounds and hope to also shoot some NFAS. What is the recommended distances for the pins. I've looked at two alternatives for IFAA:

20, 30, 40, 50 and 65

and

25, 33, 45, 55 and 65

Both with the top of the bottom guard set at 80 yards.

Which is best, and why?

I

indy

hiya mike, i use a 5 pin set up myself, depends on what you are happy with,i have mine set up as 20 30 40 50 & 60 when sighting for the 80 yarder i generally put the 60 pin on the spot and see where the 50 and 40 sit above ,then i put the 60 pin on the 40 pin,..... for 70 i would do the same again but then move the 60 pin to the 50 pin mark, if this makes any sense, for those in between shots its trail and error till you can memorise what goes where, for example if i was looking at a 25 yard shot the spot would sit between the 20 and 30 pin. hope this is of some help and not to confusing,
:boggled:

Eaglearcher

When i used to shoot compound I always had the pins set at 20,30,40,50 and 60 yards.
For the 80 yard shot i put the 60 pin on the top of the face (my 65 yard mark) and then looked at the 40 pin. i then moved the 60 pin up to the 40 pin position. This extra height (5 yards) allows for the fact that the arrow is slowing down and the gaps get larger between your pins as the yardage increases.
As far as using your pin guard for the 80 yard mark...sssshhhh. no one is supposed to know about this.
For many years the EFAA and IFAA didnt allow pin guards at all.
Dont give them a reason to take them away again!!

pantherman

I agree with the other 2, 20 to 60yds for me.
I always try and have a pin for the smallest target at the max distance, so 30 and 50 get a pin, 40yd sits in between them and you will shoot this at least 8 times a round.
I have tried having a 65yd rather than the 60 but 55 and 58 then got worse so I switched back.

MikeD

I agree with the other 2, 20 to 60yds for me.
I always try and have a pin for the smallest target at the max distance, so 30 and 50 get a pin, 40yd sits in between them and you will shoot this at least 8 times a round.
I have tried having a 65yd rather than the 60 but 55 and 58 then got worse so I switched back.
I stuck with 20 - 50 and 65, but just because the new arrows were shooting at the same speed as the old ones. So I didn't need to change the pins much at all.

I'll think about changing 65 to 60. as I am having problems too with the 55, 58, 60 distances.