SF Forged+ attach included plunger and rest

jaydee

Hi' all,

Finally decided to attach the plunger and rest included with my SF Forged+.

However, when I use the rear hole for the plunger (closest to the string) the rest sticks about 1.5mm out when I mount it over the plunger. If i use the front hole, the plunger sits in the middle of the riser, which also seems wrong.
Anyone out there who have tried setting this up, who can enlighten me a little?

Thanks in advance
Br. Jan

ShaunD

Yeah, the rest supplied with the forged+ riser is on the large size. I didn't use either the rest or button that came with the riser as I already had the Shibuya button and rest, which I used.
I did use the rest and button for my Daughters bow though, a Samick Privilege, as none were supplied with that, and used the rear hole. This does mean that, like you said, 1.5mm sticks out over the back. It hasn't proved an issue.
I have read of others that ended up filing this off so it sits flush but as long as you don't knock it, it'll stay put.

jaydee

Thanks Shaun,

I think I'll give it a go and see how it works out. Was looking at the Shibuay as well, so if all fails that's next step :)

Yep I noticed the same when I bought my bow a year or so ago. I contacted Quicks who were equally baffled about it. It seems that SF changed the size of the rest at some point as, according to what I've been told, some people who own the Forged + has a rest that fits perfectly whilst others, like us, do not.

For what it's worth I never had any problems with it and when I replaced it (only last Saturday) I had quite a job removing the old SF rest it was stuck on that well. Incidentally I replaced the rest and pressure button with the Shibuya ones. The Shibuya rest is definitely better than the SF one as it's far more adjustable. For example on the SF one I couldn't really align it properly so that the plunger aligned dead on the middle of the arrow shaft or that the arm rest didn't stick out slightly over the edge of the arrow. The best I could do was to adjust the rest as best I could and then put a slight kink in the arm. With the Shibuya I was able to precisely adjust the rest exactly where it should be. Now admittedly I did do a bit of retuning with the new Shibuya rest and plunger so how much of this is down to the rest/plunger and how much was down to the tuning I can't say but after I had set it up I shot a dozen arrows and every single one was in the gold with 7 in the 10 and 5 just outside in the 9. For me that is a very significant improvement.

D

Deleted member 22727

Just put the same plunger on my Forged+ and noticed the same thing, it's more of an aesthetic than functional issue i think. It also come with 3 springs - one each with red, white, black markings - but no indication as to which one was soft, medium or hard. Does anyone know which one is what?

carl7

Just put the same plunger on my Forged+ and noticed the same thing, it's more of an aesthetic than functional issue i think. It also come with 3 springs - one each with red, white, black markings - but no indication as to which one was soft, medium or hard. Does anyone know which one is what?
Yes, SF is famous for non-descriptions of their products.

If you gently squeeze the springs in comparision, you can feel which is which.

ThomVis

If you gently squeeze the springs in comparision, you can feel which is which.
Get a long thin pin, like a knitting needle or the inner tube from a BIC ballpoint, slide the springs on it an compress them into each other. By delivering the same force on both springs you can now measure which one is the weaker (more compressed) and which one is the stronger (less compressed).

jantar77

Supporter
Supporter
It also come with 3 springs - one each with red, white, black markings - but no indication as to which one was soft, medium or hard. Does anyone know which one is what?
I think medium is by default in the button. Then the difference between hard and soft should be obvious. I think on my old SF Premium button the colors have been white=medium,black=soft,red=hard (if I remember correctly)

D

Deleted member 22727

I think on my old SF Premium button the colors have been white=medium,black=soft,red=hard (if I remember correctly)
Well, having just performed a quick squeeze test, I'd say that seems to match the springs I have, although there didn't seem to be as much difference between the white & red as there was between the black & white.

With the white spring fitted and the adjustment thread screwed all the way in the plunger didn't feel any different to when the adjustment screw as completely removed. I was expecting the plunger to become easier to push in, or is it a case the change in spring tension is so subtle you'd only see the difference when shooting - which I hope to test later in the week.

jantar77

Supporter
Supporter
Just one gentle advice. The tube on SF buttons is from quite a soft steel so be carefull when you tighten the screws when playing with it to not deform it. I overtighten the screw which caused the pin to stuck and the tube doesn't have circular form anymore. I tried to bring it back but the button doesn't work well ever since.