Shibuya gold button, longevity?

Hi, my last button tip was scored badly. I have just replaced it. I know it's a how longs a piece of string question.
But should it last more than a year?
Thanks, Dave

Generally speaking, yes it should last more than a year.

On a well set up bow with matching arrows, contact with the button after loose should be minimal so you wouldn't expect to see enough wear to justify a replacement after just a year, unless you are shooting huge amounts of arrows. It sounds like something is not quite right with your set-up, causing excessive contact (and as a result, button wear) when you shoot, so it might be worth speaking to your club coach (if you have one) or a friendly experienced archer to make sure everything is as it should be

Hope that helps

Dan

Cheers Dan. That makes sense. I will ask around.
The bow shoots well enough if I let it! More by luck than management.
Thank you, Dave

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
I've replaced the whole button, once. Never replaced a gold tip on it's own.
Now I'm not a particularly heavy user, but that's probably 8 to 10 years of use of this tip...

Corax67

I am 18 months in of weekly shooting on my Shibuya, a few extra sessions on top too - there are minor signs of rubbing on the gold tip but nothing serious so I would imagine many happy years of service still to come.

Is yours moving I and out freely? Might a bit of dust or grit found its way in causing the tip to not react to the arrow passing it and generating excessive wear?

karl

nbuuifx

I've just come on to ask a similar question.

Mine has been on for just over a year, and I've noticed it has noticeable arrow groove in the gold tip.

I've used carbon arrows for that entire time. I'm shooting the best I've ever shot at the moment so would presume the bow is setup OK.

Is it something to worry about? Do I need to change the tip? Can it just be rotated 90 degrees?

Thanks

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
You can rotate the teflon/gold bit, yes, but you should check your tune. Excessive wear is symptomatic of a problem. Too stiff arrow/button or dodgy loose are the usual culprits.

nbuuifx

I'm certainly not perfect and do get the odd bad release but the wear looks like it would be constant wear over time.

I know it is difficult to judge ability on a forum, we have coaches at our club who normally correct things that we are doing wrong and we have an equipment expert who will give advice if tuning etc. is out. I've been shooting for nearly 2 years. My Portsmouth scores average around 550.

The arrows are on the weaker side of the range suggested by the charts, and they tune well at the moment. I'm shooting about 38lbs OTF and the arrows are 620 ACCs

StevoNilo

I agree with Pirate.. I have always used these Shibuya DX buttons (25 years) .. I had them when they were totally of teflon.. now they supply them standard with the 'gold' tip.. for the price they are great value. Buttons work best when they are used within its range.. they don't compensate for a bad set up. For me, average shooter they have lasted years.
If you look on the gold tip flat surface there is a little dimple. I guess when this wears off then time to renew the tip. Expect a couple of years use from one tip if you shoot more than once a week.

f_thomas

Glad I read till the end. Your post answers my question about the quality and expected life of a Shibuya DX plunger in actual use over a longer period of time. The young man coaching me has tried a couple of times to get me to go for a Beiter, but I do not see the value in a plunger that is 3.2 TIMES the cost. If the bow is properly tuned and the plunger set properly it is almost set and forget. The Beiter is certainly nice with additional features, but the Shibuya functions smoothly and appears to be robust in all the right ways. I have been shooting 250 to 350 arrows a day four days a week over the past three months and see ZERO wear on the metal tip. That averages out to 14,000 arrows over the past three months, which blows my mind. With 30 reviews at LAS it is rated 5 Star. My Shibuya DX shows no wear (just went and checked).

I am returning to archery after a six hour spine surgery a year ago so my form is by no means great or consistent. Additionally, this is my first attempt at Olympic recurve having shot trad and barebow in the past. If anyone could break it it would be me. LOL!

The OP's excess wear must be from something out of tune as has been mentioned. Hope he will let us all know how he ultimately sorts it out.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
I see a Beiter button as a kind of luxury item. It doesn't function any better.
They seem to be a bit more robust (it is possible to distort the barrel on a Shibuya by being heavy handed with the lock screws - personal experience :( ) and the whole click/numbers adjustment *may* make things easier (not convinced on that one)...
If someone wants to lay out the cash, that's fine, it's entirely up to them. They won't get an advantage from it.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
After a wet/windy/dusty outdoor season, don't forget to take your Shibuya apart and clean out all the grit and gunk that will be in there interfering with the free movement of the plunger and spring. It can really fill up in there.

Both benefit from regular cleaning Geoff!

Belly buttons tend to be even longer lasting than the Shibuya though - had mine for many years and still as good as new!

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Heehee, great stuff!!
Mine's good as new ,too, but there again, I never really use it.
Apparently, some people have been known to lose theirs. How they got them off, I have no idea.
There was a bloke on tv who said he hadn't seen his for forty years; then one day there it was, right in front of him.
It was hidden by some chips and a part eaten slice of toast. From which I gathered he had been looking in the bin; perhaps he had thrown something in there by mistake.As you do!