Shibuya Rest Failure :-(

My Shibuya rest has just failed & was wondering if anyone else had the same problem?

Whenever I shot an arrow, the wire collapsed against the riser.
This is caused by the small Allen bolt not holding the wire securely enough.
No matter how much I tried to tighten it, it still collapsed.

Unfortunately, by the time I discovered the cause of the problem, a few arrows had bounced off the riser & bent!

I have replaced the Shibuya rest with a Spigarelli Evo II rest now, but would like to see if the Shibuya rest can be repaired or salvaged in any way.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

EVC

You may try to replace the grub screw or the arm (not cheap). I suggest you buy the arm and leave the shibuya as a spare for the Evo.

madmac

i gave up on mine and went back to my gua rest as after every shot the wire slipped round no damage to threads etc

backinblack

I'm in a similar situation at the moment and it's down to me having stripped the grub screw's Allen socket. If you use a Beiter button, it might be possible to use one of the spare grub screws supplied to replace the one on the rest - the Allen keys are the same size. This isn't something I've tried as the plan has only just come to mind but if I get my finger out in the next couple of days I'll give it a go.

Best,
Backinblack

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, but I'm sticking with the Spiggy rest from now on.

Just goes to show that spending lots of extra cash doesn't mean you're getting a better product.

Glad I didn't fork out the ?28.00 for a new one.

Cheers!

lbp121

Just wondering whether the arrows are slamming the wire against the riser because of a spine or clearance issue?

Just wondering whether the arrows are slamming the wire against the riser because of a spine or clearance issue?
Yes, almost certainly.
I was using my old Plat+ arrow for home practise, which are a couple of spines too weak for my current set up.
Nevertheless, this still shouldn’t cause that much of a problem.
It certainly didn’t seem to bother the Spigarelli rest on my last riser.

Lowney

I have the same problem......gave up on the rest...went back to my cheap Fivics Magnetic Rest.....no more problems!

peterrock07

I have just started shooting and have set-up my bow with a Wraparound SF magnetic rest and when shooting last Saturday the wire kept moving out from the riser - I've tightened it and will try again next Saturday - I was suprised that the wire moved away from the riser.

jantar77

Supporter
Supporter
Yes, almost certainly.
I was using my old Plat+ arrow for home practise, which are a couple of spines too weak for my current set up.
Nevertheless, this still shouldn?t cause that much of a problem.
It certainly didn?t seem to bother the Spigarelli rest on my last riser.
Evo 2 is more robust and is affected less by rough shots but it doesn't mean it isn't bothered by or will NEVER fail. My failed during national championship (due to clearance problems after I changed string a couple of days ago) and I lost a bunch of points until I spotted that. I still think Evo 2 is the best you can get for it's price but wouldn't blame Shibuya. For the skinny arrows Shibuya is superb adjustable and very smooth in action. Think about it like it is intended for pros who know how to mitigate the clearance issues. :eek:ptimist:

Biggsy

Why rubbish a product because it fails when misused, i ( and thousands of others ) think the Shibuya rests are great, i have them on both my bows and dont have any problems.

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
I love love LOVE my Shibuya rests! Never had a problem and have been using them since they came out. Wraparounds however were the bane of my life. To be honest, some of the best recurves I know have gone back to using the good ol' plastic stick-on Hoyt rests to great results. Might be worth a try.