Barebow Shims on a Barebow.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
I was adjusting a barebow and had to make a couple of shims for under the limbs to get the tuning that I wanted. I made them out of thin hard sheet rubber; mainly because I had some to hand and it was easy to cut. Once I was happy with the concept I copied it in metal. But I did wonder - is there any reason why I could not have just stuck with the rubber? The barebow rules preclude rubber under weights and are a bit down on damping in general but I could not see any Archery GB rule which would disallow rubber under the limbs.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
The KG1 had bolt on limbs but there was a rubber type material between the limbs and the riser. Not sure if that means it was OK to use it or if those who had one never used it for barebow. I used mine for target archery. I would guess it was put there to prevent damage to the finish on the limb bolts.
The Perris Whitehart had a very similar looking method of attaching their limbs so they might have used a similar material between riser and limb butts.

Whitehart

Anything between the limb and the pocket can cause inconsistencies with regards to fit and change the tiller, rubber is too flexible and can allow the limb to twist. The Perris Whitehart had a very thin piece of felt only as a barrier to reduce damage to the varnish on the limb, and so did my KG1.

AndyW

I didn't even realise it was potentially cheating in BB. My as new original KG1 has a shim/liner for want of a better word which has the bow number on it. Other ones I've owned have had either leather or rubber replacements - never a bare contact.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
I don't know that it is cheating. It just occurred to me that it's the sort of thing that could cause a bit of head shaking and teeth sucking at an equipment check.

It was the limb varnish damage that started me thinking about this, but I totally agree with what you are saying about twist etc.