Shooting pellets vs arrows

Corax67

I’ve an S410 with the walnut thumbhole stock, Hawke HD 3-9x50, Pard 007 night vision unit. Also have a Gamo PT-85 tactical which looks amazing and shoots well for a CO2 pistol

Shed tuner

The two disciplines are very different as are the attitudes of those who undertake them.

If i muck up a shot with any of my air rifles then an injury could occur but not a fatality - muck up with my compound and the likelihood of very serious injury is much much higher. That’s why the garden range discussions are so
different.
That's certainly true, and I'd not shoot a compound (or even a powerful recurve) in the garden, any more than I'd shoot a rimfire or centrefire rifle.

I was merely commenting on the tougher, somewhat less welcoming path to joining an archery club vs airgun, rimfire or full-on powder burning rifle clubs.

chrisgas

Supporter
Supporter
That's certainly true, and I'd not shoot a compound (or even a powerful recurve) in the garden, any more than I'd shoot a rimfire or centrefire rifle.

I was merely commenting on the tougher, somewhat less welcoming path to joining an archery club vs airgun, rimfire or full-on powder burning rifle clubs.
At air rifle clubs etc. Are they limited on time as many of the archery clubs seem to be?

malbro

Instinctive Archer
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I just had to reply to the above, as this is exactly my experience
I had the same experience, hence my jaundiced view of target archery clubs, applied to join my local club, had to wait two months for next beginners course even though I had spent several weeks working with an independent archery trainer, this was not regarded as sufficient has he wasn't a member of AGB. No more news from club after two months so emailed club getting a replay telling me they were sorry but I had missed the boat this time round as they had lost my application, I would have to wait another two to three months to take the course. Needless to say I looked for a less local club who fitted me in on a beginners course that began within a couple of weeks, and they took account of my experience to date once I was on the course.

I also applied to a field club who had me in immediately took three weekends to assess me out on the course and signed me up.

Guess which discipline I prefer.

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
I’ve an S410 with the walnut thumbhole stock, Hawke HD 3-9x50, Pard 007 night vision unit. Also have a Gamo PT-85 tactical which looks amazing and shoots well for a CO2 pistol
Nice!
I was shooting at 50 yards using our van as a platform last week; loads of fun. Then 65 yards into the field behind us; finally got the target after a few attempts. I also just got a chronometer and have been testing a few pellets; Superdomes and Superpoints were around 775fps and 11ish lbs-ft, JSB Exacts and AA Diablos were a slightly close to the limit 790fps and 11.7lbs-ft! At least it’s not underpowered.
I know we don’t do photos much but...

Bandit

Nice!
I was shooting at 50 yards using our van as a platform last week; loads of fun. Then 65 yards into the field behind us; finally got the target after a few attempts. I also just got a chronometer and have been testing a few pellets; Superdomes and Superpoints were around 775fps and 11ish lbs-ft, JSB Exacts and AA Diablos were a slightly close to the limit 790fps and 11.7lbs-ft! At least it’s not underpowered.
I know we don’t do photos much but...

I have to say I’m tempted to give this a go but I will have to shoot left handed as my right eye has an astigmatism

Corax67

At air rifle clubs etc. Are they limited on time as many of the archery clubs seem to be?
Far from it - all the clubs I’ve shot at have an outdoor venue that is used from dawn to dusk, members usually have gate keys / lock codes and you can shoot 7 days a week unless there are comps on.

I’ve visited clubs with fixed shooting hours / days but even those are long sessions several times a week.

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
I’ve not visited our local rifle range yet; too much fun in our own garden and land! But post lockdown, I’m looking forward to having a go.

Shed tuner

Far from it - all the clubs I’ve shot at have an outdoor venue that is used from dawn to dusk, members usually have gate keys / lock codes and you can shoot 7 days a week unless there are comps on.

I’ve visited clubs with fixed shooting hours / days but even those are long sessions several times a week.
Agreed.. I have the keys to my local airgun club too, as do all the full, longer standing members (more than a year). obviously on particularly popular days you have to be sensible and let everyone have a go, but not really an issue.

chrisgas

Supporter
Supporter

So are there any big differences in layout of ranges or facilities? Are they normally as basic as many archery venues?

Shed tuner

So are there any big differences in layout of ranges or facilities? Are they normally as basic as many archery venues?
they vary. All will have some form of covered shooting areas, and normally a clubhouse that may or may not have electricity / running water. And of course a solid backstop / fixed boundary fencing. basic, but perfectly adequte - it's not a hotel ;)

Corax67

O0
As an idea, my old Field Target club owned the rights to a wood - you turned off the main road, through a gate (club lock), up a track to the car park. Our facilities were a 20ft container and a couple of portaloos.

Next to the shed was our zeroing range - measured target holders for paper targets at ranges from 10 to 50yds in 5 yd intervals. Next to that was a plinking range for practice or pistol then you had the track off into the main course.

All plinking and course targets were steel plates with varying sized holes designed either to be shot and reset with a pull cord or shot down then reset by being shot back up.

Zeroing range had a line of picnic benches so you could sit and bench rest shoot the rifle for max accuracy. Plinking range had a rope shooting line. Both had a backstop wall of old railway sleepers. The course had a numbered wooden stake marking the shooting point for each target and direction arrows tied to trees guiding you around the course.

Bog basic but immense fun.

In the winter we also had the use of a village hall for an evening a week plus a local pub turned over its skittle ally for us to shoot bell target once a week too. Alcohol and shooting - a lot like longbow 😂

Last edited:

Corax67

There are a few about that have amazing facilities - there is a farm in Essex with ranges in barns that have been converted for the purpose and are heated with food on site too.

Kernowlad

Supporter
Supporter
It is - I had great plans to visit this year but Covid has bogged all that right up.
I had so many plans for this year; field tournaments every other weekend, Europe travels, skiing, all sorts. Instead I have simply got a bit better at garden maintenance. Added to that I’ve decided to not drink all November; not a big drinker but a regular one. On day eight. Still alive. But it seems mildly masochistic.
Pete’s is a big drive from here (as is almost anywhere) but if I do head that way, I’ll pack the S400!