Sight Block

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
I always understood that when shooting barebow you had to remove the sight block and screws. I've read threads to that effect and known people to be pulled up for it.

I was looking at the barebow rules today and read this:

204. Barebow: The Barebow is as described in WA Constitution and Rules, Book 3, Article 11.4. The current version of the WA Rule is copied in Appendix F of this rule book.

WA Rules say:

11.4.1. A bow of any type provided it complies with the common meaning of the word bow as used in target archery, that is, an instrument consisting of a handle/riser and grip (no shootthrough type) and two flexible limbs each ending in a tip with a string nock. The bow is braced for use by a single string attached directly between the two string nocks, and in operation is held in one hand by its grip while the fingers of the other hand draw and release the string.
The bow as described above shall be bare except for the arrow rest and free from protrusions, sights or sight marks, marks or blemishes or laminated pieces (within the bow window area) which could be of use in aiming. The unbraced bow complete with permitted accessories shall be capable of passing through a hole or ring with a 12.2cm inside diameter +/-0.5mm.

It seems to me that as it specifically says "within the bow window area", it seems to me that stuff on the outside the window, like a sight block, is fine.

Or am I misinterpreting this?

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
The bow as described above shall be bare except for the arrow rest...
I think it's the 'bare except for the arrow rest...' bit that takes priority. Having said that I have never been pulled up for a wrap-around rest. I was also told by a judge to remove the clicker extender and a built-in rubber damper (hoyt nexus riser). I think the built in damper is actually within the rules. But yes, it is my understanding the bow should be bare.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Ok, I see what you're saying - it should be 'bare' AND it should be free of protrusions etc in the sight area. Thanks for the clarification.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I wonder if the sight block idea was a throw back to days when sight blocks were on the riser facing the archer, and therefore clearly visible.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Quite possibly.

But the thing that started all this off for me was that I was using my old riser the other day and the sight block screws were still in the holes; I think that I put them there for safe keeping. Normally I can't see them but for some reason they were glinting in the sun.

But they were helping to aim. One of them was dead on for 20 yds.

Corax67

A lot of judges will tell you a sight block is a no no - could 8n theory be used as an aiming aid.

Don't risk it, pop it off.

Karl

Hawkmoon

Not really an issue as there is no reason to have a sight block on a bare bow to start with, it's just going to add weight high up on the riser and spoil the balance.