Sight Track not parallel with string .....

Having finally got a chance to follow up all of your good advice regarding my arrows going to the right at distance, I've managed to get hold of a couple of line levels today and have discovered that my sight track is indeed not parallel with the string.

To correct the discrepancy it looks like the sight clamp needs packing out at the lower side which would be entirely consistent with the arrows going to the right at distance.

Any suggestions what to pack it out with ?

I'm a bit concerned that the if I just pack it out at the lower edge, then the flat base of the clamp will hardly be in contact with the riser at all. I imagine something wedge-shaped would be the perfect solution ?!

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
if your sight bar screws into the extension arm, it may be possible to level it out by loosening the screws. Some (all the ones I've owned) sights have a little bit of play there to allow you to make small adjustments to the verticality of your sight track without the use of packing.

Thanks Bimble.
I've just had a try and unfortunately the 2 screws are set in deep, very close-fitting recesses so there's no play there for adjustment at all.

The sight is a Fivics 200 - if that helps !?

dfrois

Supporter
Supporter
Did you check if the sight track is parallel with the *riser* ? The string may be off plane, if the limbs are not well aligned...

DF

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
If you do end up shimming the mounting block: try something compressible, like a double sided foam mounting tape.
As an added bonus, it makes the block less likely to shift.

But as has been said, make sure limb alignment is correct first, then see if the sight bar fixings have some play - they can usually adjust a fraction.

Many thanks for all of the help and advice, as ever.

I've now checked and the limbs are correctly aligned, so it's definitely the sight track that needs adjusting.

The tiny amount of adjustment in the screws wasn't quite enough, so a bit of shimming under the lower edge of the mounting block was definitely needed.

But after a closer look, I noticed that inside the mounting block there are 2 rails that the extension bar sits on ..................

so I've now managed to get the sight track nice & level by the application of a couple of layers of thin adhesive tape to the lower track only.

Hope this might help someone else in future.

Attachments

dfrois

Supporter
Supporter
Glad to see you found a solution. However, doing it that way, in the inner rails, has a disadvantage: the constant mounting and unmounting of the sight bar will degrade the packing material, over time. You need to keep an eye on that, and replace it every now and then. Your first idea, of packing the mounting block (putting something between the sight block and the riser) has the advantage that the block is not often removed from the riser, so it should be more permanent (all else being equal).
JMHO, of course.

DF