Sore draw finger with new riser setup

Jean Wilkinson

Hi, I am a very experienced recurve archer and I have just changed my riser from WW TFT to WW AFTx. Apart from having to wind down my poundage and cut my arrows are they were tuning weak (which was bizarre), I have a sore middle finger on my draw hand and can’t work it out. My tiller is 2-3 mm. I have had, at time sore edges to my second or even third when I was twisting my hand at anchor, but I have all fingers well on and hand held flat and this pain is in the crease so very strange! I am shooting now in total over two ‘archery lives’ 20 years.

jerryRTD

I dislike stating the obvious but in this case I feel I have to. so what else have you changed? There must be some thing, Have you tried going back to old riser and seeing if the problem persists

Stretch

So dumb questions:
  1. You didn’t change anything else - same string etc?
  2. The tiller on the TFT was also 2-3 mm?
  3. Nocking point is the same relative to the riser?
  4. You haven’t been shooting more because you have a new bow?
  5. You’re definitely still hooking the same?
  6. Same grip?
My guess is that you string angle has changed - so the limbs maybe sit a bit different in the riser or the pressure point relationship is different. If the pain is joint pain, you need to change something. If it is in the skin you should adjust to it - use Vetwrap to comfort your fingers.

Firstly don’t shoot if it is lots of pain - take a short break/medical advice etc. But if it is just a bit uncomfortable…

If joint pain, change the tiller to zero and shoot. Rate the discomfort. Dial in 1mm repeat. See if you find a more comfortable setting.

If that doesn’t help add an extra layer to the tab for just the middle finger (nitrile rubber, suede etc). Best done by sandwiching a layer with top and third finger cut off between your two existing layers.

Hope that helps

Stretch

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
I shoot barebow string walking and the only time I have a middle joint issue is if the string settles in that joint. It's always the middle one as it's the deepest hook and I have a fairly deep hook. Joints are easy to damage and the nerves are easy to damage as access to them at the joint is easier. I would lay off for a week then go with an extra layer of leather on the tab. I did like thin tabs but weaned my self off them to prevent these issues :)

Jean Wilkinson

I dislike stating the obvious but in this case I feel I have to. so what else have you changed? There must be some thing, Have you tried going back to old riser and seeing if the problem persists
Nothing else changed, moved over everything, including the string. Same tab, same stabilisation, everything. Just changes riser, aligned limbs, set centre shot and poundage the same and started tuning. Tiller is also the same as is bracing height.

Jean Wilkinson

I shoot barebow string walking and the only time I have a middle joint issue is if the string settles in that joint. It's always the middle one as it's the deepest hook and I have a fairly deep hook. Joints are easy to damage and the nerves are easy to damage as access to them at the joint is easier. I would lay off for a week then go with an extra layer of leather on the tab. I did like thin tabs but weaned my self off them to prevent these issues :)
It must be settling in that joint but I set it up on the fingers the same as before. I will get some replacement cordovan and see if it helps. I do try to set deep.

Jean Wilkinson

So dumb questions:
  1. You didn’t change anything else - same string etc?
  2. The tiller on the TFT was also 2-3 mm?
  3. Nocking point is the same relative to the riser?
  4. You haven’t been shooting more because you have a new bow?
  5. You’re definitely still hooking the same?
  6. Same grip?
My guess is that you string angle has changed - so the limbs maybe sit a bit different in the riser or the pressure point relationship is different. If the pain is joint pain, you need to change something. If it is in the skin you should adjust to it - use Vetwrap to comfort your fingers.

Firstly don’t shoot if it is lots of pain - take a short break/medical advice etc. But if it is just a bit uncomfortable…

If joint pain, change the tiller to zero and shoot. Rate the discomfort. Dial in 1mm repeat. See if you find a more comfortable setting.

If that doesn’t help add an extra layer to the tab for just the middle finger (nitrile rubber, suede etc). Best done by sandwiching a layer with top and third finger cut off between your two existing layers.

Hope that helps

Stretch
Yes, moved everything across including string, tiller same, tuning showed a slightly low nocking point at 30m, shooting the same number of session arrows and same number of sessions. Hooking process the same, bow grip feels a little different in this riser, narrower.
I thought string angle too, but I thought then it would be obvious as top or bottom finger problem.
I will follow your advice and start at zero tiller and go from there. At least if I feel a change in pressure on my fingers, I know we are on the right track?
Maybe replace the cordovan as well. Thank.

Last edited:

Stretch

Yes, moved everything across including string, tiller same, tuning showed a slightly low nocking point at 30m, shooting the same number of session arrows and same number of sessions. Hooking process the same, bow grip feels a little different in this riser, narrower.
I thought string angle too, but I thought then it would be obvious as top or bottom finger problem.
I will follow your advice and start at zero tiller and go from there. At least if I feel a change in pressure on my fingers, I know we are on the right track?
Maybe replace the cordovan as well. Thank.
I went through something similar - actually I was changing my hook to “what it should be”. Even though it was theoretically better, I ended up with joint pain in the middle finger and numbness after shooting. No back with my oast the joint deep hook :eek:

If the nocking point came out different it means the limbs sit in the riser a little different, or the grip pressure point is a little different. That causes the bow to cant just a little and that can change finger pressure - that could be the cause.

Adding or removing weight from the longrod can also make shifts - so if the longrod bushing is in a slightly different location It could do the same.

Admittedly these are all very small things so odd that a tiny tweak could cause pain unless there is already some inflammation. A new tab face (as long as it is thicker) might be worth a shot. I always use a suede backing because it cushions a little more than two leather (but needs replaced more).

Stretch

Jean Wilkinson

I went through something similar - actually I was changing my hook to “what it should be”. Even though it was theoretically better, I ended up with joint pain in the middle finger and numbness after shooting. No back with my oast the joint deep hook :eek:

If the nocking point came out different it means the limbs sit in the riser a little different, or the grip pressure point is a little different. That causes the bow to cant just a little and that can change finger pressure - that could be the cause.

Adding or removing weight from the longrod can also make shifts - so if the longrod bushing is in a slightly different location It could do the same.

Admittedly these are all very small things so odd that a tiny tweak could cause pain unless there is already some inflammation. A new tab face (as long as it is thicker) might be worth a shot. I always use a suede backing because it cushions a little more than two leather (but needs replaced more).

Stretch

Jean Wilkinson

I played with the tiller today and I noticed the sight was consistently settling higher than usual on the target face, I did the old fashion watching the sight movement as I draw and yes, I believe the top limb was too strong so I did a quarter off top on botttom which added 1mm to the tiller. it settled the sight and eased the pain but as my finger is ready sore, I will have to wait for it to improve a bit before I can be sure. There is no doubt the riser shape is not the same as in reply to another question, I measured the distance between the bolts and the ATFX is shorter than the TFT.

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
If the riser is shorter it will, even if geometry is the same, give you heavier poundage for the same limbs. You'll also have a sharper string angle at full draw - contributing to "finger pinch". This needs to be watched, as not only can it be painful, but it can cause dodgy looses.

Jean Wilkinson

This explains so much. Including the weaker arrows, the better sight marks etc. And of course, the finger issue. Years back I tried a 64” bow and I completely forgot the acute angle, which is why I didn’t stick with it. Thank you for making sense of it! I have strengthened the bottom limb and it seems to help with the fingers but need to give my finger time to get better before I am sure. I did notice the riser performs very differently, on the TFT I could have great highs and big lows group wise. This is more in the middle. Good but no fabs, but no awful either.