Sounds loud like a slap

Sinbad

ok, I have noticed over the last few weeks, the bow sounds like a loud slap/gun shot on release. Checked the pockets and all nuts/screws etc, nothing is moving ,taken all rods and sight off, and still the same so nothing from that side.

moved the string stop in to see if that was doing it. No change.

No cam lean, cams all aligned with markers, arrows clear riser/string, powder test done. Limb tiller done to make sure they are not out, a to a the same. Not sure where to look next. The arrows fly fine, paper tuned and group well (when i still have strength that is :) )

PSE supra me (52-54lb)
3-39 ACC 29"

Wonder if the arrow is a little light. 80g point, have some 100 (or125g) points so may try that.

Was also thinking if the string has stretched a little, so may try a twist or 2 to see if that makes any difference.

All advice and ideas welcome.

Hope all are having a happy Christmas and New year.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I have had that problem with my Carbon Matrix. It lasted for a year or more and I tried all sorts of things to cure it.
I can't say for sure what it was, but I did change the draw length and that made things better. Later on, I changed to longer draw length modules and that made things better still.
My guess is that for some reason, when I was releasing the string, it wasn't going back into the cam groove centrally; a bit like plucking a recurve.
Perhaps I was torquing the bow some how. With a side rod fitted, that seemed to help, which fits in with the thinking it is torque generated.

Sinbad

Thanks for that, will have a chat with a coach, see if it is me doing something strange on release. Not gripping the bow, as open handed, but could be a pluck as i release :(

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
The bow hand can be relaxed, but the bow can still twist in the hand. It's a bit like the recoil but instead of kicking up, the bow kicks to one side slightly.

Sinbad

Well changed the blade and used fatter/heavier arrows for a test field 3d today. and it was a lot different sound wise, very quiet. Will change the points on the other arrows to see if that is the full issue. Cheers for responses.

Sinbad

I think its an arrow weight issue, the other arrows don't have anything to catch the blade. I have larger point weight for the ACC's so going to set a couple up and see how it goes, only worry is if it weakens the spine a little, will it then effect the flight, etc etc etc :( just have to give it a try. Something to do while off work for a couple of days.

little-else

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
get someone to film you and look at it in slow playback. It could be what you think or it could be something else such as string hitting bracer after arrow has gone and then bow twists slightly. Another odd one can be the peep sight

Sinbad

Seems like the extra 30g of point weight has sorted the slap bang noise. Sounded a lot better at yesterday's shoot. Still grouping well even though the sight Mark's have been pushed down a little.