Spotting Scope for Shooting Line

CALOR

Can anyone give me advice on purchasing a scope as I wish to buy one ready for the outdoor season - I have tried to look on various sites, but am bamboozled by the techie parts. I want to buy a relatively good angled scope with a sturdy tripod so it does not blow over :confused:

Last edited:

Murray

Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Dunno if it was mentioned in any previous posts, but this:
http://www.quicksarchery.co.uk/superbasket/product.php?product=1174

has pretty good quality optics for the money. It's not armoured, waterproof or nitrogen filled, but I've yet to see anything in its price bracket provide a clearer image. I've used mine outdoors for approx 4 years now, no problems at all (although I did run a bead of silicon around the edge of the lens just to help it repel water.

Opticron 40302 I think is the model number (or perhaps AA63A - Google searches for combinations of these will throw up results) - It's a 22x60 fixed eyepiece (but other eyepieces available) . Beware though - the tripod clamp is usually an added extra!

Little Miss Purple

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Alternative sports also do an opticron - we bought a larger eyepiece for ours!

Advice - try not to buy one that has a low magnificaton!!

wingate_52

Keep an eye on the ones on ebay. Get one with an angled eyepiece. German ones are good. I got a ?70 one from a dealer. Have made a waterproof cover from a goretex sleeve that was hanging about and made an extesion hood to keep the rain of the front optic. 20-60 x 60mm. Its great but I would get a bigger optic as evening shoots can get a bit dull. A good tripod is essential. Spike it to the ground with a length of bungee.

nfinite

Ironman
I Was recommended to buy a scope with at least a 60mm front lens,
( more light)
Got a waterproof helios 20 - 60 x 60mm.

Very good scope with a large eye piece , which for me due to my glasses,makes things easier to focus.

droseman

I got a decent 60x scope (I think its a 20-60x60) from ebay. Its a German one made by Seben, ?40 I am very happy with it.

Dave

moo-mop

I recently bought a new scope (after a lot of wet fitas last year I decided that i must have something waterproof). I settled on a celestron mini-zoom. It only has a 50mm lens, but that's fine for arrows at 90m most times. It cost ?70 new.
A lot of spotting scopes really have far too much zoom, therefore you have to line it up very precisely, not easy when you only have 20s to do it in! I find 20x too much personally, this one has its lowest at 12.

Last edited: