Stabiliser setup for field (Compound)? - More balanced?

ArcheryFox

I have been doing a bit of playing and research with stabiliser setups recently for compound target.
I have come across the ideas relating to a balanced system vs a system biased to one side and the benefits of each one.
I note that many archers for target choose a single side rod with varying angles and there are only a few with 2 side rods.

However, when it comes to field I note that there are a great deal more archers using 2 side rods in what looks to be a more balanced setup.
My thoughts on this would be that perhaps when aiming uphill and downhill the balanced system might be more comfortable, whereas a single rod system biased to one side might feel different at different angles.

Wondering if anyone else has any thoughts on this or can share some experiences.
Whilst I am stuck indoors at the moment I am hoping for a good field season this year and it is already on the horizon. :D

robert43

When I shoot 3D / Field compound I used a 30" front bar & a 12" back bar on a Hoyt Podium & where I am in Australia this is the norm ie 1 long front bar & only 1 back bar . Not very often do you see 2 back bar on compounds only old set ups & I found no great problems with up / down & shooting side ways on a hill of such .
I was told that 2 back bars on recurve were mainly due to no bubble in scope.
I once tried 1 back bar recurve and only really problem was the follow through on the release where top limb almost hit me in the head

ArcheryFox

Interesting, thanks for the info.

I noticed that a lot of 3D shooters seemed to have 2 back bars when shooting last year, and found the same when watching the Pro Archery Series. However, upon recapping the videos from Cortina this year there do seem to be more single bars around.

As always, I know the answer is to try different things and see what works for you, as what works for one person isn't necessarily best for you.
Just wondered what other's thoughts on the matter were.

Lammas

My approach is a bit different. I use short single stabilizers of 5" to 11" on my compounds.
While longer ones & side bars would stabilize the bow better under normal conditions, I perceive them as obstructive for 30? upward/downward shots, and when shooting on terrain that is slanted sideways.
My home parcours has more than 500yds of altitude difference, and about 1/3 of the shots require a stance substantially different from the FITA standard target shooting practice.

ArcheryFox

Interesting...
There was a 5 yard squirrel vertically down from a tree stump this summer that I eventually decided to remove my side rod for just to be able to move my bow low enough!
:laughing:

Lammas

IMHO for hunting, you trade long range accuracy for situational flexibility.
I view 3D shooting similar to hunting, especially in an unknown parcours - say, competitions.