Starting a Disabled Club

disbloke

Okay, so let's not have answers about the rules of shooting and stuff as I've pretty well got those covered.

What I'm really trying to find out is what are the eligibility criteria for a person to belong to a disabled archery club. I have asked the office and been directed to section 11 of the rules of shooting. Unfortunately this covers what to do about someone rather than their condition. So what do other clubs out there use as the guide on disability?

FYI I am classified internationally ARW2 so I know the classification system but not what GNAS/ArcheryGB see as disabled.

Help please!

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
hi kevin,

my club has recently started a disabled section/club and we have some older chaps with blue badges due to heart conditions, etc. and the GNAS accepted them as disabled, along with those of us who have been IPC classified. what the GNAS and IPC see as disabled is quite different. i believe you need at least three disabled members to form a section/club.

hope that helps. :cupcake:

have you seen Appendix A in this document?

Murray

Ironman
American Shoot
AIUK Saviour
Disbloke - you and I know here's no-one qualified to make any assessment of 'disability' and no defined criteria therefore it's a moot point... got a headache? You count as disabled, if you say so.

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Disbloke - you and I know here's no-one qualified to make any assessment of 'disability' and no defined criteria therefore it's a moot point... got a headache? You count as disabled, if you say so.
you're dyslexic, so YOU must be disabled :p ;)

Toxophilus_Archer

The Olympic committee has strict regulations but from what i can gather GNAS should recognise the government rules on disability. I cannot remember the exact wording but it has something to do with having a chronic illness that restricts that inhibits daily life.

disbloke

Thanks to all, I think that goes some way to answering how GNAS/ArcheryGB are defining disability.

I was aware of the difficulties in how "disabled" could be defined what I was looking for was how our glorious NGB had decided to define things so that when I set the club up I am meeting the criteria they expect rather than just guessing. Would seem from the information I was able to get from them that they would rather you just decide yourself than give you the limited guidelines they have.

I had tried, without success to find the DDA info, and did ask, but nothing was forthcoming and when I did find a link didn't work for me. I think I shall now go ahead and set up using the open ideals as laid out in the linked doc from Clicki......

Froggy the Elder

Definition of 'disability' : Directgov - Disabled people

If you also read the 1995 act (schedule 1), and the 2005 amendments (but don't blame you if you didn't) you will see that there are definite criteria for being classed as disabled.

Appendix A in Click's linked document sums it up nicely.

Toxophilus_Archer

Appendix A reads
Ray Fields
Chairman GNAS Disability Committee
4 / 1/ 2007
Appendix A
What counts as Disability according to the law?
The Act sets out the circumstances in which a person is ?disabled?. It says that you are
disabled if you have:-
? A mental or physical impairment
? This has an adverse effect on your ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities
? The adverse effect is substantial ? the adverse effect is long term (i.e. it has
lasted for 12 months or is likely to last for more than 12 months or the rest of your
life)
There are some special provisions, for example:-
? If your disability has badly affected your ability to carry out normal day-to-day
activities, but doesn?t any more, it will still be counted as having that effect if it is
likely to do so again.
? If you have a progressive condition such as HIV or multiple sclerosis or arthritis,
and it will badly affect your ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities in the
future, it will be treated as having a bad effect on you now
? Past disabilities are covered
What are ?normal day-to-day activities??
At least one of the following must be badly affected:-
? Mobility
? Manual dexterity
? Physical co-ordination
? Continence
? Ability to lift, carry or move everyday objects
? Memory or the ability to concentrate, learn or understand
? Understanding of the risk of physical danger
It is really important to think about the effect of your disability without treatment. The Act
says that any treatment or correction should not be taken into account, including medical
treatment or the use of a prosthesis or other aid (e.g. a hearing aid). The only things
which are taken into account are glasses or contact lenses. The important thing is to
work out exactly how your disability affects you. Remember to concentrate on what you
can?t do, or find difficult, rather than what you can do.
This is from a GNAS document so it must be what they accept.

pkel33

I asked GNAS directly regarding classification of disability, I got a reply back from Chris Christopherson the current chairman of the GNAS disability commitee saying that to classify an archer as disabled they would need confirmation from your doctor of your disability and to provide a prognosis regarding your disability

hope this helps