Starting Out

Prov

Hi Guys,. I am after a bit of advice on what gear to select for a new user. I am wanting to go with recurve and have worked out my draw length to be about 28inch. And the bow length to be around 66 to 68. Other than that I am struggling to know what to select.

I don't really want to go to a shop and have a sales job done on me and end up with a bow that's too light of a draw as I am I think fairly strong. I also don't want to buy cheap and buy twice and don't want to buy what in the community would be considered poor quality equipment.

Does any one have any recommendations for equipment or for establishing a reasonable starting weight. I would like a take down bow so I can upgrade and a good riser that I won't have to replace in the coming years so I am not wanting to buy the beginners kits I don't think.

Any help appreciated as I am struggling to get any responses from local archery clubs.

Many thanks

Nictrix

One thing I would say is that although you may think you are fairly strong, for archery you may not be.
To give you an example, my workmate is 6'5" and 17 stone, well built and a strong hardworking guy and on a normal day can lift and shovel a lot more than me.
He struggled to pull my wifes bow when it was 28lbs.
You may be best to try a lower poundage bow to see how you get on and work your way up from there after mastering control of the lower poundage limbs.

Panama

What they said ^ and don't get caught in the trap of thinking higher poundage is the goal because if your form isn't very good, it will suffer massively and be a lot harder to rectify when you're pulling higher poundage.

Last edited:

Whitehart

The limbs choose the archer - too heavy and you just miss faster.

Even as a beginner remember the correct arrow spine is most important. Errors are magnified with the wrong bendiness and as a beginner you make many errors.

A good shop will get all this right for you.

Twang-oops

Supporter
Supporter
Bit late to the discussion, but the best course ( only my opinion) would be to find a club first that will let you hire kit for a few weeks as a new member and try different draw weights over that time.

LittleSkink

Assume OP may have now solved this? Where about's are you?

Returned to archery a couple of years ago so feel your pain - With clubs make sure you find a good one - I joined our local GNAS club specifically to get help and its been completely pointless. They are so busy running beginners courses every request for help has been ignored, Covid seems to have created a massive backlog.

To the OP question, you will buy twice, especially limbs. When I started out I got a decent ILF riser and some cheap light limbs (Axiom 25lb in my case, am 6' 12st cyclist build, eg muscly legs & skinny arms). Also got some of those exercise / stretch bands

Riser choice was actually harder than I expected. They do all feel different and handle shape varies a lot, so try if you can. I ended up with a Gillo as it felt nice and is easy to swap out the handles, and you can add weights to change the feel (I shoot barebow not Olympic)

After a few months went back to the shop and they encouraged me to shoot 30lb - not hold the bow drawn, but actually shoot a few dozen arrows. It felt a bit much at the time but I took their advice and adapted fairly quickly to new weight.

A year later I went to look at a one piece field bow (at similar price to a new set of limbs). The shop let me try 30 and 35lb. Same as before, shot them both for a while, the shop encouraged me to 35lb. Even today (6 months later) its still a bit much, but I can shoot a field round with it, the more I shoot it the stronger I might get, so who knows. It's nice to have a choice

Each limb change has required new arrows, so do factor that in - but try your old set first, they might be fine

- I now have access to 3 different poundages with matched arrows I can shoot, wont sell the 25lbs in case I get injured or something

Howi

Go to an archery shop and TRUST them, most of the staff will have been shooting a lot longer than you, and will set you up with the right equipment to suit YOU.
DO NOT assume you know what you want at this stage.
Take advice of those that know better than you.
Do not over bow yourself, you will not do yourself any favours.
Do not assume you can shoot high poundage at this stage, you may manage a couple of dozen arrows if you are lucky before your muscles give up on you.
Even experienced archers who have not shot for 4 or 5 weeks will notice that their muscles have reverted back and will take a few sessions to get back to form.
It is NOT strength that matters but FORM.
If you do not know what FORM is, join a club and ask.
If, as you say, you are getting no response from local archery clubs, how are you approaching them?
Don't be a know all as you KNOW NOTHING at this stage.
Put your attitude back in its box and seek proper advice whether from club or shop, otherwise you will not last 5 minutes.