Stick on metal arrow rests - which is best?

LittleSkink

My daughter uses a plastic arrow rest on her field bow, they dont seem to last very long

The plastic ones are only pennies but been looking at a stick on metal rest, with the bent wire

I assume these last fairly well, but wonder which are best - and which (if any) can get replaceable wire, or do you just bin them when the wire is done

Stretch

The Shibuya Ultima is the best stick on rest. No question (;)). However, it and a lot of copies of it, do have a downside that the profile is not as low as some due to the mechanism used to give ambidextrous use - some some archers can have clearance problems. Replaceable arm readily available but I have never had to and I have been shooting them for a long time.

I don’t like recommending anything I have not used but I had a Cartel Flipper RS and. Flipper and they seemed OK. A copy of the Ukranian rests that were very popular in the 1990s. Very cheap and the “spring” is under the arm giving better clearance in some situations. For this rest you throw it away if you ever destroy it.

Anything by Fivics, W&W or WNS is likely to be fine too.

Those would be my punts, the Shibuya being 1000% more expensive than the Cartel but pretty.

Stretch

Stretch

Ahh, assumed you are talking about a non-stringwalking regular split finger/olympic style shooting.

LittleSkink

should have added a caveat, what is best around a tenner - will see what mid brand ones are in the shop

and yes, Mediterranean draw no shenanigans

Nictrix

We use the Shibuya Ultima rest and they are great but fairly expensive.
My wife at one point was having trouble with the wires breaking on the rest, never completely got to the bottom of why, but due to the cost of replacing the wires we tried the Avalon Tech One rest which is basically a copy of the Shibuya at a third of the price, it also came with a spare wire.
She is now back to using the Shibuya rest after a change in arrows seems to have stopped the rest wire breaking.

jerryRTD

My daughter uses a plastic arrow rest on her field bow, they dont seem to last very long

The plastic ones are only pennies but been looking at a stick on metal rest, with the bent wire

I assume these last fairly well, but wonder which are best - and which (if any) can get replaceable wire, or do you just bin them when the wire is done
if the bow keeps on destroying the plastic arrow rest then it is very likely the bow requires a bare shaft tune.

LittleSkink

they arent "destroyed" just wear away to nothing over a few weeks of regular shooting. FWIW she shoots wooden arrows, we dont always clean the mud off after a mishap

4d4m

That does sound like the tune isn't great. Is the bow noisy? Are these the fairly chunky black plastic rests? Which bit wears first?

I use the little white Hoyt super pro plastic rests on my target recurve, because my first kit came with one and I never had a problem with them or desire to change. I just a keep a spare or two in the bow bag. One of those would last me many months of regular shooting (years now, as I hardly shoot that bow) and they are really delicate thin plastic.

Or possibly your daugher's loose isn't as "clean" as it might be?

jerryRTD

There is only one thing that comes into contact with the arrow rest and that is the arrow There is also only one thing that can cause wear and failure of a plastic arrow rest and that is the arrow being pushed into the arrow rest by a low nocking point. Do a bare shaft tune and set up the nocking point height.

LittleSkink

bow sounds good, plastic rest is Hoyt. The wear is even, looks like circular wear from the string, almost like the arrow was abrasive

just checked measurements and brace height correct at 8 1/4", bottom of the top nock is +13mm which is where it tuned to when I set up the bow - guess that could benefit from being tweaked a bit

I use tie on nocks so not easy to quickly move about, will stick a pair of brass nocks on and experiment, thanks folks

4d4m

You can do a quick experiment without changing anything by nocking the arrow above the top nocking point. If flight is good and the bow still sounds ok then maybe worth further experiments. You can also use sticky tape or dental floss for temporary nocking points. The elastoplast fabric roll plaster/strapping is good for this, just cut short strips a few mm wide with scissors.

jerryRTD

just checked measurements and brace height correct at 8 1/4", bottom of the top nock is +13mm which is where it tuned to when I set up the bow - guess that could benefit from being tweaked a bit

I use tie on nocks so not easy to quickly move about, will stick a pair of brass nocks on and experiment, thanks folks
You need to get your daughter to do the shooting when the bow is set up. the differences in hand size and placement between you and your daughter will have a significant effect on the tune of the bow. Also check the tiller