Sticky Situation

PaulT

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
I know the Fonz award is designed for those who shouldn't be left in control of a bow. But this nomination is for someone who shouldn't be left in control of a tube of super glue.

I am nominating a club mate, and one of the quieter AIUK members Hugh (and by the way mate Helen put me up to this so blame her not me:stirthepo !)

On Monday night Hugh turned up to the club after a hard day at work intending to just relax and fletch a few arrows. He set himself up to do so and set the first arrow in the jig with the first vane glue neatly(?) in place.

A few minutes later when coming to loosen the clamp after the first vane had set it seemed a little stiff. Upon closer examination he realised that the glueing hadn't been quite so neat and the clamp was stuck to the vane - a problem we've all had when fletching no doubt and relatively easily fixed? Nope!

Not only was the vane stuck to the clamp but some of the glue had trickled down to the tightening bolt on the clamp and stuck that as well! Then whilst carefully trying to loosen the bolt the head sheared off very probably causing the death of the entire jig!:melodrama

At least Hugh had the good humour to laugh about it and reveal to all present that the last time he had used super glue he had glued fingers together and glued his phone to same fingers!!

Hughbert; USE PRITT STICK!!!:raspberry

Schme1440

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
I would give him a fonz. It made me smile and for that alone he deserves a fonz. its always fun telling them you have got them a fonz.

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
Hmmm, I'm not sure... now if Hugh had clamped his nipple (and what kind of fool would do that?:innocent:) and then the glue had stuck... or perhaps the bolt had sheared off, flew out of his hand, struck an archer at full draw who then loosed too high and hit a passing ostritch that fell out of the sky and hit Hugh on the head and getting covered in superglue in the process and becoming attached to Hugh's head... now that would be worthy of a Fonz.

Over to you lot... Fonz or No Fonz?

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
Is that how you got your Fonz Dave?:)
Erh, no, I got my Fonz way before that incident occurred. Iirc KevinH grassed me up for using Deoderant <sp?> instead of the normal stuff you'd put on your bow to check clearance. Looked fine but hadn't quite dried when I loosed...

It went everywhere, mostly in my face...

GeoffT

Ironman
Hmmm, I'm not sure... now if Hugh had clamped his nipple (and what kind of fool would do that?:innocent:) and then the glue had stuck... or perhaps the bolt had sheared off, flew out of his hand, struck an archer at full draw who then loosed too high and hit a passing ostritch that fell out of the sky and hit Hugh on the head and getting covered in superglue in the process and becoming attached to Hugh's head... now that would be worthy of a Fonz.

Over to you lot... Fonz or No Fonz?
Dave, I thought you knew Hugh...........if he had clamped his nipple it would not have been a mistake:stirthepo

BTW, I can confirm that every word typed by PaulT is absolutley true...............Hugh went home in a sulk. It was only a Carn'tell jig and so he didn't expect it to last long:cheerful:

Deserves a FONZ IMHO

PaulT

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
It was the destruction of the fletching jig with just a drop of glue that made me (and HelenT) think it was worth a nomination. Though I have to agree your version sounds a bit more spectacular Dave!

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
NOCO
It was the destruction of the fletching jig with just a drop of glue that made me (and HelenT) think it was worth a nomination. Though I have to agree your version sounds a bit more spectacular Dave!
Now you've put it like that I think you're right. Just imagine what he could do with a whole tube of the stuff :)

Hugh, stand up and accept your award!

Schme1440

Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Stand up Hugh.......no.......Ah he's glued him self to a chair:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Hugh

A vane in the ar*e .....

It's all true I'm afraid, I did glue the entire jig together, however I didn't leave in a sulk, I left because I was experiencing the reverse Midas touch .... everything I touched turned to, well you know ... so I left for the benefit of all present so that I didn't jinx them too.

Although the tightening bolt is still standing proud (ooer missus) and preventing the jaws of the clamp shutting tightly enought to hold a vane, that nipple clamp thing gives me an idea.

Anyone got a spare Cartel fletching jig clamp? I like to be balanced.

Oh well, thanks for the 'thumbs up' for the award!!

Last edited:

Raedwald

This sounds like the stickies situation since sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun....... :raspberry

HelenT

The American
Ironman
American Shoot
Fonzerella

Glad you're impressed with your little fella, just make sure you look after him somewhat better than your fletchings and jig!