Straw Boss Maintenance

New2Archery

Supporter
Supporter
I have a 128cm straw boss for home practice and I have been using it in the house over the last two months or so as I usually shoot in the evening after work and with it being dark and the weather being horrible, this was the best option.

I have however noticed that has become quite dry, probably from the heating and was wondering if it is ok to throw some whater over it.

I asked in my club and one person said that you could mix some kind of glue with water (light solution) to prolong the life of the boss. So I am asking if any of the knowledgeable folks here could tell me the best way to prolong the life of my boss please?

TIA

lbp121

I've also heard letting it get mo0inst is good, not that is is a problem outdoors. The glue idea was to mix PVA with water and use on a worn target boss to get a bit more life out of it. I'd expect that if it worked, you'd get more wear on the arrows too.

DavidH

The PVA does work, and is great for when the centre softens, I'm pretty sure it wont damage arrows, providing you don't use it neat.

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Don't use glue. Best way to ruin a straw boss. Drench your boss with water. It will make the straw swell, which is what you need. If you notice it drying out, do it again.

DavidH

PVA is still perfect for a worn out centre. I'm imagining the OP drenching his boss with water in the house;)

New2Archery

Supporter
Supporter
PVA is still perfect for a worn out centre. I'm imagining the OP drenching his boss with water in the house;)
LOL. Crazy I may be, stupid, not too much (I hope) :) I live alone, so shooting in the house is not as stupid an idea as it may sound and allowed my to get my archery fix through the cold, dark winter nights ;)

It's not so much the center of my target as the sides. I shoot from the kitchen extension, out through the kitchen door towards the hall door. A distance of 9m. I shoot recurve and pull 41# on my fingers. I shoot at a 3 spot and shoot rounds of 6 arrows, 2 per target. I do however shoot for groupings. I am as my forum name implies new to archery (3 months) and being able to group in the yellow is how I judge if I am improving. My 3 spot would be to the right of center on my boss.

My boss is an Egertec and was only bought just prior to Christmas. I rotate my boss for each session so I don't constantly shoot at the same spot each time and I shoot between 120-180 arrows per sesion and would shoot 3-4 times per week (along with 2 club nights). I am finding my arrows coming out the back now up to 3 or 4 inches.

I notice that at the back of the target, it looks like the straw rope has broken. Imagine you took spaghetti with one hand on each end and bent it. I also notice that after a session there is quite a bit of straw on the ground and it seems more than I see under the bosses at the club on club nights, and the club bosses could have 2 or 3 folks shooting at them, some with high poundage compound bows for 2.5 to 3 hours/twice a week.

As I said for the past 2 months my boss has been inside the house in the kitchen, and though not right beside the radiator, it's not miles away from it either. The club bosses are also stored indoors, though in a storage room in a schools sports hall. The club bosses are the same Egertec model from the same supplier. So I am wondering if the heating might have adversely affected my boss and the best way to prolong it's life.

Weather is not too bad today, bright & sunny, so I might bring it out the back throw some water over it once I finish shooting for today and see if that helps.

Thank you all for your responses so far

NickL

Next time it rains ... (probably this weekend) ... just lay your boss flat outside. As mentioned above, the water will swell the straw just a little.

New2Archery

Supporter
Supporter
If going with man made rain, from a bucket, how much water would folks recommend? If I throw 2 or 3 10L buckets over it while it is laying flat in the garden, would that be enough?

NickL

I would 'suggest' using a sprinkler from a hose rather than a dousing with a bucket. You want to achive damp (for the straw to soak up) not sodden!!!

SimonW

Have you thought about asking the manufacturer?

I would think they would be best placed to answer this one.

Simon

New2Archery

Supporter
Supporter
Have you thought about asking the manufacturer?

I would think they would be best placed to answer this one.

Simon
I did actually, but a google search only turned up archery retailers who sell Egertec bosses. So I then chose to ask on here from folks who may have had a similiar experience with their own boss and what they found worked for them.

I have just used plain water after todays session and already my boss seems less "Crispy", so hopefully that will do for another while.

As I said the boss is only 3 months old, so I was expecting it to last longer. But I suppose I can shoot up to 800 arrows a week into it, so maybe it's not that surprising.

Again thank you all for your suggestions.

clickerati

The American
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
American Shoot
Egertecs don't use glue in the manufacture of their bosses. The thick Italian bosses do, which is why they don't last as long as Egertecs and are cheaper. So adding PVA is going to destroy your boss. Damp is the keyword. You need enough to get it wet but not dripping, otherwise it will take ages to dry.

And when this boss has seen the last of its days, replace it with a foam boss ;)