String Advice Please! For modern limbs on wooden ILF riser

turtle

Hi everyone, I have just ordered a 23" 'modern' wooden ILF riser (action wood and mycarta laminate construction by the look of it). I will be mounting my Hoyt Traditional carbon wood recurve medium limbs on it. Can you advise on the sort of strings I should be looking at in terms of material? I am familiar with the usual string materials for olympic recurve, but don't know if the wooden riser needs to be taken into account i.e. should I be looking at something a little softer e.g. D97 or D75 Flemish rather than a regular endless loop 8125G or the like? I want the bow to have a fairly soft shot and be fairly quiet. Its easy for me to pick up a 66" 8125 string, but wonder if I should go for something a bit kinder on the riser?

Any help is appreciated!

BTW the riser I am getting is the Kaiser Chillon. Nobody seems to know anything about them as they are very new, so I guess I am the guinea pig!

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Ask your manufacturer!
Generally speaking though, it's the limbs that suffer from poor string choice.

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
If you wanted "softer", you'd have to look at Dacron rather than a different brand of hmpe.

I suspect that any suggestion that you can get a detectable difference between different brands of dyneema/spectra without using (a) engineering tools (b) an olympic level archer, is probably just a gleam in the eye of the marketing guys...