String loop sizes for Uukha Limbs

jonUK76

I have a pair of Uukha EX1 Evo 2 which are Curve profile limbs. Anyone here own Uukha limbs and make strings for them? If so what loop sizes do you use? I am currently using a factory (AMO standard) string and find the top loop in particular much too big (I can slide it most of the way down the limb). I am planning to make my own and was thinking of going for around a 3 inch top loop and perhaps 2.5 inch for the bottom. Any thoughts? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

jonUK76

I ended up doing a 3 inch top loop and 2.75 inch bottom loop string, 28 strands in BCY Mercury. That is referring to the length of the serving prior to closing up the loop, not the loop diameter BTW. They're both nearly the same size, but it seems to be working well enough. Top loop now slips down to roughly where it would on a more common limb after destringing, so it helps stop the limbs from randomly falling out when destrung anyway.

ThomVis

I always use 8cm and 6cm loop serving before closing. With wide limbs I might make the top a bit bigger, with Uukha I make the bottom a bit bigger. I fit with an old string (8&6) and adjust accordingly.

jonUK76

Thanks Thom. I'm new to the string making game but have been practising making Dacron strings for the club bows. The "default" size I've been doing for recurves is 3" for the bottom loop and 3.75" for the top (using this video as a guide -
) but I felt they're too large for my Uukha limbs, as were the factory strings I've been using (Flex Supra). Anyway, this Mercury string I made is shooting quite nicely and is very quiet.

Last edited by a moderator:

ThomVis

(using this video as a guide -
)
I watched the video, some remarks :
- When laying out the string (looping), put the pegs square, not in line. Stack the string thread above the previous one, so is does not cross anywhere. This way you can even the thread-tension throughout the entire string. And when starting the (2nd) end-serving you can measure where to start serving.

- Starting the serving, do NOT put the serving in between the string-threads. Learn to tie down a proper start.

- He keeps the string ends pretty long. After I served the loop I cut off the excess string ends. The 6cm for the bottom loop is enough grip to keep the string from slacking. Plus you're going to serve an additional 9cm.</p>

- Closing the loop, I don't serve over the already served string, I put some figure eights in between the two bundles and then start serving the entire bundle.

- At 11:30 to see the loop end twist onto itself: Too little string tension or too much serving tension.

On serving direction:

(Pictures are from a presentation I made for a workshop string making)

Last edited:

jonUK76

Thanks. Very helpful! I've seen the figure 8 method of closing up the loops before. I'll certainly give them a go on my next string.