String Material on the way

carl7

At the very last moment before hitting the BUY button, I changed my mind. Originally was going to get BCY 8190 but opted for 452x instead. And instead of 3D, chose Halo 014. After roughly figuring how many strings I can make from 1/4 lb, (a whole lot!) I got the 1/8 pound instead, I wish they sold 1/16 lb spools, that way I could get a few different spools and experiment.

Looks like the string material will get here a while before I get the jig built. My basement was so cluttered from being ignored for 35 years, I had to get rid of a lot of stuff and make room around the lathe and workbench. Very luckily, there was a free junk collection program yesterday. Just leave it all in front of the house and they come and collect it.

Carl

heroblob

I hope your shooting top end limbs and the manufacturer accepts the use of 452X.
That is a zero creep zero stretch material that is extreemely harsh on limbs. I believe many manufacturers dont recomend it on a recurve.
Good luck.

carl7

I hope your shooting top end limbs and the manufacturer accepts the use of 452X.
That is a zero creep zero stretch material that is extreemely harsh on limbs. I believe many manufacturers dont recomend it on a recurve.
Good luck.
Thanks for the reply, well I don't know heroblob, I'm using SF Premium and Axiom limbs, of course their literature is very scarce but I assumed most of the Olympic recurve limbs today are designed for the very low/no stretch strings, I've never read where they shouldn't be used for Olympic type recurves, course I could have missed it.

I went primarily on the popularity of 452X. If it does turn out I shouldn't be using 452x, I'll just have to re-sell it on that auction site, I hope not!

Carl

heroblob

452X was designed for compounds. Some elite recurve shooters use it, but i believe it is very unforgiving on a recurve and can possibly cause limb damage due to its charactoristics.

carl7

452X was designed for compounds. Some elite recurve shooters use it, but i believe it is very unforgiving on a recurve and can possibly cause limb damage due to its charactoristics.
Thanks for the heads up herobob! I'll probably get some other string material other than 452x, another bad decision on my part, thankfully I didn't get a 1/4 lb spool. The string jig won't be ready for a while yet anyway.

A question comes to mind, does it depend on what poundage I shoot at? I mean would the stress on the limbs be minimal if say around 30# ?

Thanks,
Carl

Tuck

452x is just a dynema/vectran blend designed for all high end strings. As long as you have a decent set of limbs , preferably carbon they will be fine.
Not for trainer or very low end bows.

Eat, Drink, Shoot, Enjoy.

Alun

See http://www.archeryinterchange.com/f291/better-strings-recurve-bow-20703/ (especially last post).

I have no experience of 452X personally, although I wouldn't hesitate to use it for compounds. I like both 8125 and Angel Majesty, the difference being that the former needs to be waxed and the latter doesn't. I've tried 8190 and Fast Flight+. Nothing particularly against them, but prefer the first two. Astroflight is another I would consider, but given I make two-colour strings and it is expensive getting several colours of more than one material, I'm sticking with 8125 and Majesty. I'd be interested to hear your experience with 452X though.

carl7

See http://www.archeryinterchange.com/f291/better-strings-recurve-bow-20703/ (especially last post).

I have no experience of 452X personally, although I wouldn't hesitate to use it for compounds. I like both 8125 and Angel Majesty, the difference being that the former needs to be waxed and the latter doesn't. I've tried 8190 and Fast Flight+. Nothing particularly against them, but prefer the first two. Astroflight is another I would consider, but given I make two-colour strings and it is expensive getting several colours of more than one material, I'm sticking with 8125 and Majesty. I'd be interested to hear your experience with 452X though.
Thanks Alun, I'm looking at those strings you mention which one will be my alternative. I'll go ahead and use the 452x but also want a couple other more "forgiving" strings, even Dynaflight 97.

It's all in good fun, I'm paying my dues as the saying goes.

Carl

carl7

Well, I may have went a bit overboard yesterday, got a 1/8 lb. spool each of 8125G, Dynaflight 97, and 1/4 lb of B55 which was cheap enough, $7. I figure I'd practice the stringmaking technique with it before using the much more expensive materials.

Carl

Alun

Great, I'm sure you'll be happy with 8125, most people are, and therefore the dynaflight. Michele Frangilli did comparisons of modern string materials and concluded that he couldn't see any difference, but the centre serving material did matter. As for B55, yes, me too. It is cheap and good for your first couple of strings (which will leave much to be desired and you'll probably throw away anyway). You can also then use it for club bows if your club has the need, that's what I did.

carl7

Great, I'm sure you'll be happy with 8125, most people are, and therefore the dynaflight. Michele Frangilli did comparisons of modern string materials and concluded that he couldn't see any difference, but the centre serving material did matter. As for B55, yes, me too. It is cheap and good for your first couple of strings (which will leave much to be desired and you'll probably throw away anyway). You can also then use it for club bows if your club has the need, that's what I did.
Yes sir! I can't wait til I start my first string, about another days cleaning in the basement and I'll be ready to start on the jig, in fact, tomorrow I'll at least cut the arms out and maybe drill the post holes.

I've bought my last ready made string Alun, with not being able to adjust the BH because the length not quite right, nock fit much too tight and paying $17 for that, another $10 and I could get a whole 1/8 lb spool of the material.

I've heard a lot about Frangilli, I'm going have to get his book.

Carl