String materials - Old(ish) recurve (Marksman)

Injadaninja

Hi there,

I shoot a Les Howis Marksman Challenger Lynx (28lb@28in), bought in the late 1990s. It is a takedown recurve with a metal riser and screw on limbs. I had a few years away from archery and have recently come back. I've been shooting my old bow with no issues.

The string I use was made by a former club member, who described it as a 'Fast Flight' string. I am now looking at purchasing a new string but since I left archery and came back, the materials used for strings seem to have changed dramatically.

I believe the Marksman has wood core limbs and I understand from KG Archery that it almost certainly has reinforced limb tips. Does anyone else have anymore information on this?

I have been reading various forums and one post explains that 'Fast Flight' can be used to refer to a particular string material 'Fast Flight Plus' or as a generic term for any number of HMPE string materials. Is that correct? Has 'Fast Flight' ever itself referred to a specific material? 'Fast Flight Plus' gives me the impression that it is a development on an older material, i.e. Fast Flight standard. Posts in this forum suggest that there was an original Fast Flight material.

In which case if my strings are original Fast Flight, how different is it from the materials around now? Should I be wary of using the newer materials, like BCY X, 8125g, FF+ etc as they do not have sufficient 'give' and might damage the limbs? I have tried Dacron strings previously but lose too much speed and distance.

Anyone else still shooting a Marksman? ;-)

Thanks,

Lucy

Timid Toad

Staff member
Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
Definitely not "X". They're originally for compounds, and modern manufacturers like W+W recommend avoiding them.

JohnK

I shot FF and D97 on my old KG1, so I'd guess that 8125, FF+ and the like *should* be okay.

Berny

In Marksman's old adverts, brochures, catalogues it says to only shoot Dacron/B50 & not use carbon arrows on the wood-handled bows
incl. the original Challenger (without the Lynx suffix)

whilst the metal-handled bows were all specified as FF capable.

Both the above from the '92 catalogue.

Not sure, but think the Challenger Lynx was a re-badged Korean bow.

FF/Fastflight is 100% Dyneema, not blended with Vectran & suchlike.

....& yes, I've a few old Marksman bows that are shooters.
If in doubt about strings it's not worth taking the risk, stick to Dacron/B50,
get back into it ..... then get yourself a newer bow with whatever string type recommended.

Injadaninja

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies. That's all very helpful, especially the old marksman catalogues! In terms of shape, the lynx is quite similar to the meteor, but without the wooden grip.

As it is happy with original Fast Flight, it seems like non-blended dyneema might be ok. I'd rather not go down to dacron as I lose too much distance.

I love my old marksman and it shoots well, so I'd love to stick with it rather than look at new bows!

Lucy

Stretch

As I recall you should be OK with FF type strings. I'd try to find something that is no higher than Dyneema 75 , 65 would be better but rare as hens teeth. You may be able to find second hand fastflight or someone who has a stash will lend you. (Original Angel ASB and JVD Dyneema would also I think be in that category - not sure about original BCY Dynaflite)

Even the manufacturers recommendations were more about self-protection and warranty voidance than genuine "it'll be OK forever if you use string XX". I shot my KG1 with FF at 46# with carbon arrows. It snapped at ~ 18 months (in 1991). Marksmanship response was that they could sell me a new riser at full price. (Yeah right...)

However, if you're shooting lower weights and heavier arrows it should be fine for a great many arrows. So I wouldn't recommend low strand count (less than 16) or light arrows (like ACE) if you want it to last.

YMMV

Stretch