string nock fit- correction of loop serving to lie in groove properly

King Custard

A couple of the several strings I've had made for me or bought off the shelf just don't want to sit properly in the nock groove of the limbs... at the point where the two end loop halves meet the serving down the string ( if you can grasp what I' mean)..and that's just not right.

I am so close to the beginning of my own string making endeavours that I as yet dont even have the jig, it is on it's way though.

If adjusting the end loop serving ends to cure this-so that they no longer go underneath the thicker (all strands part) of the serving....would it be better to butt all the servings up close...or to have a small gap between them?
Alternatively- I could 'lose' the endloop serving altogether, but would this not promote wear and possible failure- especially if during manufacture the string wasn't twisted before serving?
If I do decide to go for No endloop servings to correct these strings ( which is easier to accomplish...How far Up the string should the 'thicker-nock groove serving' go?
Cheers

this archery lark is definitely a mental game ennit.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Like you, I never liked the servings that held the strings out of line at the limb tips.
For twenty years plus, I have not served end loops on recurve or compound strings. The results are fine and the time saved can be useful.
I appreciate that some do not like this idea.
I did see a very good alternative on this forum recently, where the end loops were served with the tail ends of the actual bowstring.
I will try to find it.

King Custard

Like you, I never liked the servings that held the strings out of line at the limb tips.
For twenty years plus, I have not served end loops on recurve or compound strings. The results are fine and the time saved can be useful.
I appreciate that some do not like this idea.
I did see a very good alternative on this forum recently, where the end loops were served with the tail ends of the actual bowstring.
I will try to find it.
I believe SDM made me a couple of strings this way some time back- the endloops were served with string material anyway....and lovely they were too...fitted the limb nock beautifully. I wish I hadn't passed them on to another archer who needed strings of the same characteristics when I changed setup and found myself needing other string properties.
Otherwise I could have disected it to find out how he does it.

He must leave strand knots at either end of the loop section - of even no knots atall...bit of a liberty to ask him to give away trade secrets though isn't it.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
There was a set of pictures from the website of an archery club, so I don't think trade secrets is involved with the post I'm thinking of.Still trying to find the relevant item.

King Custard

Friskney Bowmen - Serve a Small Loop
here's a link to the method that I will probably try on my next string. It is so neat in more ways than one.
Thanks Geoff.
:yummy: Thats cool. so an 18 strand recurve string is actually made of two lengths of string material- 9 strands per side would leave the free ends of each piece, one at either end if you were to use two colours...
Only query I have is if, when yuo stretch the string out to ensure that each strand has similar tension...do the stands that end as loop serving have enough give in them?

But then I supposed all that would happen if they didn't- would be that your end loop serving would constrict to give that strand a liitle more 'play'.
Im going to have to try this!

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi KC,
I didn't look into the details too closely as I will use a single colour.
I think there needs to be two tail ends at each end post in order to produce the servings as shown. With one colour, my idea is to serve one end with the tails then at the opposite end create two new tails by placing an extra up and down strand, starting and ending at the unserved end. The spare long loop would be cut out after the last serving is completed.
To answer your question about strand tension, I think one way would be to make a 20 strand loop and tie the ends. Take it off the jig (or what ever to stretch it) Then put it back onto the jig, cut the knot and use the two tails to serve, reducing the strands to 18 as you do it.
Does that seem right?