[American Flatbow] String Silencers

I've seen these online when looking at traditional archery stuff.

Are they really worth having for Target/Field or are they more just for show?

KidCurry

AIUK Saviour
I've seen these online when looking at traditional archery stuff.

Are they really worth having for Target/Field or are they more just for show?
Really just for hunting to quieten the shot; not really needed for target archery. They will slow down the bow slightly.

blakey

Thanks. I'll stay away from them.
Good move, they slow the bow significantly. I also think it's easier to tune a bow without them, coz they suppress vibration slightly, and you don't get such a clear 'tune'. It's easier to hear and feel that sweet spot without them. Cheers :)

4d4m

I have them on my flatbow because
(a) they look cool
(b) I love the way they make the bow virtually silent, completely different to my recurve
(c) they look cool

I haven't chronoed the bow with and without but to be honest my gut feeling is they are not slowing the arrow down by a huge amount as they are quite close to the end serving, it's a dacron string and as I'm shooting 32" long wood arrows with 11/32 shafts and 100gn points they aren't going hugely fast to start with.

It's at the heart of the reason why I also have a trad style bow with wood arrows as well as my recurve with ACEs, and use a glove and leather bracer with the flatbow rather than the platform tab etc for my recurve. For fun and an antidote to the high tech.

Did I mention they look cool too? :)

I have them on my flatbow because
(a) they look cool
(b) I love the way they make the bow virtually silent, completely different to my recurve
(c) they look cool

I haven't chronoed the bow with and without but to be honest my gut feeling is they are not slowing the arrow down by a huge amount as they are quite close to the end serving, it's a dacron string and as I'm shooting 32" long wood arrows with 11/32 shafts and 100gn points they aren't going hugely fast to start with.

It's at the heart of the reason why I also have a trad style bow with wood arrows as well as my recurve with ACEs, and use a glove and leather bracer with the flatbow rather than the platform tab etc for my recurve. For fun and an antidote to the high tech.

Did I mention they look cool too? :)
They do look cool...

And I do like the idea of a really quiet bow...

Damn it you're swaying me back towards them!

sithspit

You can make them with wool(not so good in wet weather) or if you have some para cord look for para cord string silencer on you tube. I am going to give it a try Easy to remove also.

fbirder

I tried making some from a section of thin bungee cord. They did look good - but at 40m they dropped the arrow from gold to white :-( and came straight off.

Te Toro Archery

Good move, they slow the bow significantly. I also think it's easier to tune a bow without them, coz they suppress vibration slightly, and you don't get such a clear 'tune'. It's easier to hear and feel that sweet spot without them. Cheers :)
This is why I steer clear of them.
I can feel a very real difference in the vibration while tuning and shooting,,,,both Flatbow and recurve.
I can pretty much tell what I've done wrong in my release simply by the vibration I feel.
When Hunting the vibration and sound level will change very little if the bow arrow combination is spot on to begin with.
Using silencers to quieten the bow is just covering up something that can be tuned out.
I also find that the best over all performance and arrow flight is found right on that spot where the vibration is at it's smoothest and quietest.
So, I don't do myself any favours by covering up what I find to be a very important tuning aid.

John.