String Tension around posts?

carl7

I'm thinking of making a string jig, the typical one with four posts of metal. One question is, when your wrapping the strands around the post tops, how tight do you wind it?

Reason is, I'm wondering what diameter the four posts should be, I'll be using mild steel rods probably about 6-8" long? 1/2", 5/8", 3/4" ?

I assume to minimize flex, a little heavier is better.

Thanks,
Carl

albatross

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
When I lay my string strands around my jig I make sure it is just 'taught'. I don't pull it so tight it tries to bend the posts. The main purpose is to make sure the tension is even in each strand. When you turn the posts to serve the end loops, you will have to reduce the tension anyway and then reapply it when the pillars are at 90 deg to the center column.

Dennis

Bertybobby

What albatross said...

I made my own Jig. Posts are made from cut broom handles with screws in.

They don't need to be super stiff. Just enough to take a small amount of tension added by a tug on the stand.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

carl7

OK, got it, thanks guys. Yes, seeing the problems I'm having with buying these ready made, sloppy strings, (like buying a pkg that says AMO 70 - 66" but actually getting a 67"+ string) I'll start making my own, that way, even if there's some variance in the particular bow / limb combination, I can make a string to fit just right. Another thing is I had to redo all the servings to fit my nocks, I figure if I have to do that, might as well make my own string.

Besides, I can play with all the high tech string materials available today and I already have many spools of different size serving material like Halo from my compound days. I had intended to make my strings back then.

Carl

carl7

You never imagined you would have so much fun. Did you?

Dennis
Yeah Dennis, nowadays it's come to be expected with all the incompetence everywhere, one has to become self sufficient and knowing to get things done right. One good thing that's come from archery is, it has caused me to clean up my shop which was a absolute mess. Now I have a clear work bench to do the little things of archery...haha!

Carl