string

oldnut

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
evening all, my string on my bow is looking a bit worn and I want to replace it. I cannot find the invoice to tell me what type of string is on it. I know it has 14 strands, but that's it. the bow is 45# osage orange, any advice as to string material would be helpfull

Cereleste

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
It's likely that it's Dacron or something similar since that's recommended for traditional bows without reinforced limb tips in the 12-16 strand range. Could be either B50 or B55 or something else but it's unlikely to make a large difference.

oldnut

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
It's likely that it's Dacron or something similar since that's recommended for traditional bows without reinforced limb tips in the 12-16 strand range. Could be either B50 or B55 or something else but it's unlikely to make a large difference.
hi, I thought dacron but some else said fast flight, is there much difference? I thought fast flight lacked the slight give needed for elbs, but he said not...

Cereleste

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Hmm, I'm not much of a longbow person but everyone around me's always used those for traditional bows since they're kinder on the limb due to the extra bit of stretch. If the person who said fast flight is ok also made the bow then I'd trust them and use the latter because it's a bit more efficient. Otherwise, I'd stick with Dacron unless you can contact the bow maker and their opinion, because I'd rather have a slightly slower arrow than risk a cracked bow.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
A 14 strand fastflight would be pretty thin as the norm is nearer 18. Dacron is often white while fastflight is often black or some strong colour.

oldnut

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
A 14 strand fastflight would be pretty thin as the norm is nearer 18. Dacron is often white while fastflight is often black or some strong colour.
the string on my 50# boo backed bow has a much thinner string, due to what you said I gues that must be fast flight and my osage bow must be dacron

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
That is probably true.
Some strings are made a bit thinner than normal for a reason that the stringmaker has decided upon. Usually, strings made by an archer for their own use, can be thinner than normal as the archer wants to achieve something other than just a good nock fit.
If you put two strings side by side and see they look as thick as each other, the strands count will help decide what the materials are.