Switching from Hoyt to Win and Win

maxharding99

I'm considering switching from Hoyt to Win and Win mainly because my last few sets of top end Hoyt limbs have come pre twisted. But my question is what is the corresponding poundage on a Win and Win set-up to a Hoyt set-up. If for example I'm currently shooting 40lb ILF Hoyt limbs on a Hoyt riser with the limbs in the middle position what poundage limbs would I need from Win and Win to get the same draw weight?

Stretch

Typically you’d drop 2 pounds when moving from Hoyt to W&W, so 38# W&W to 40# Hoyt.

But riser geometry can impact, so a HP geometry Hoyt is +1.6#.

But some W&W risers are rumoured to be a bit straighter so adding a little bit of weight.

But some limbs increase in weight at more or less than your “normal” 2# per inch. So at 32” Velos are still increasing at 1.6# per inch. Gillo GTL88 limbs (made by W&W are about 2#). Some W&W limbs can be more than 2# but the newest MXT limbs are “supposed” to be less.

And then I had a set of 36# 70” Winnex that only managed 40# at 31.5” when fully wound up - but they seem to have been unusual.

So personally I’d look for advice from a W&W dealer and ask specifically for the riser and limbs you have in mind with a target draw weight at your AMO draw length AND state where you want the limb bolts to be. (Mid, low or max).

Hope that helps

Stretch

mbaker74

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
Have you shot the Win & Win? They do feel very very different, so if you like the Hoyt feel you may not like W&W?

If you like Hoyt I would suggest going to a main dealer and checking the limbs are straight before paying for them?

Big John

Interesting - I am thinking of going the other way, from W&W back to Hoyt (used to shoot 20 years ago). My reason is wanting the Xceed riser and not being super keen on mixing riser/limb manufacturers.

I didn’t realise how the 2 company’s limbs differ but thinking about it, my Wiawis have always been heavier, as measured by scales. So my advice is to try before buy - and to take scales with you.

potamus29

Interesting - I am thinking of going the other way, from W&W back to Hoyt (used to shoot 20 years ago). My reason is wanting the Xceed riser and not being super keen on mixing riser/limb manufacturers.

I didn’t realise how the 2 company’s limbs differ but thinking about it, my Wiawis have always been heavier, as measured by scales. So my advice is to try before buy - and to take scales with you.
I had an Xceed riser but wasn't happy with it and it was chewing through the limbs at the pivot point. Investigated by Hoyt Europe, replaced limbs, it happened again so had a refund and bought a Win&Win ATF-X. Very different feel from the Xceed but I'm happy with it.

Stretch

Personally, I like the Xceed a lot and while my XL Velos have significant marking around the block they are superficial and seem stable. Every Hoyt I have owned in the last 20 years has been the same (or worse) - at least it shows the weight is being applied to the riser at the right point and not riding the dovetail.

Each to their own. I’ve yet to find a W&W riser I actually like but wouldn’t hesitate to put W&W limbs in an Xceed.

Stretch

potamus29

If the markings had been superficial I doubt Hoyt would have acknowledged the problem. The 'markings' were working through the lacquer and into the fibre beneath. The lacquer was cracking off in pieces. The limb bolts were at factory setting before you ask. I agree the riser felt good but the limb damage was disturbing.

Stretch

Sorry didn’t mean to imply that you didn’t have an issue, just pointing out that all Hoyts look like a dogs dinner in that area.

Hoyt, like pretty much every other manufacturer, turn out products that are duff but should have been picked up in QC. Were your limbs Velos? If so were they gloss or matt? And when did you buy them? Early matt GP did seem to have some issues.

BTW when you say Hoyt Europe who do you mean, the European distributor? So JVD?

Stretch

potamus29

Sorry didn’t mean to imply that you didn’t have an issue, just pointing out that all Hoyts look like a dogs dinner in that area.

Hoyt, like pretty much every other manufacturer, turn out products that are duff but should have been picked up in QC. Were your limbs Velos? If so were they gloss or matt? And when did you buy them? Early matt GP did seem to have some issues.

BTW when you say Hoyt Europe who do you mean, the European distributor? So JVD?

Stretch
Velos limbs, early 2021, matt. Seemed to me it was the hard edges to the pocket adjustment that was the main culprit. I put Uukha limbs in the ATF-X, amazing. Really smooth draw, feels like 2 lbs less than measured draw weight but fast.

Stretch

Velos limbs, early 2021, matt. Seemed to me it was the hard edges to the pocket adjustment that was the main culprit. I put Uukha limbs in the ATF-X, amazing. Really smooth draw, feels like 2 lbs less than measured draw weight but fast.
The hard edges on the block are what does the superficial damage but what you had goes past that. Either something wrong with the material on the base of the limb or something wrong with how the limb fitted the riser. The really poor finish matt velos examples tended to be late 2020 manufacture but I guess yours could be from that period.

I’m not a fan of Uukha (DFC doesn’t work for me) but the ATF-X is obviously a good bit of kit. ( Be better if it felt more like a Hoyt 😜) Wish W&W made XL limbs.

Stretch

potamus29

The hard edges on the block are what does the superficial damage but what you had goes past that. Either something wrong with the material on the base of the limb or something wrong with how the limb fitted the riser. The really poor finish matt velos examples tended to be late 2020 manufacture but I guess yours could be from that period.

I’m not a fan of Uukha (DFC doesn’t work for me) but the ATF-X is obviously a good bit of kit. ( Be better if it felt more like a Hoyt 😜) Wish W&W made XL limbs.

Stretch
I'm quite glad the ATF-X isn't more like a Hoyt given my experience.

Stretch

I will not sink as low as telling negative stories about the ATF-X QC but if you think one mass manufacturer has better QC rates than any other mass manufacturer you are not paying attention. Have you seen the JVD trash bucket?

Some of the boutique brands have exceptional quality levels in risers but all mass manufacturers are good to very good at BEST.

Bottom line is if you like the feel of the ATF-X then power too you. Not my cup of tea.

Stretch

Big John

Interesting stuff - I have noticed that my W&W NS limbs have picked up some score marks from the pocket edges when I use them on my Avalon Plus.