Tab wear patterns

fbirder

I was wondering if there's any useful information I could glean from the pattern of wear on my tab. I'm slightly concerned over the extensive wear on the index finger part. It looks as if it wouldn't take long to wear all the way through.

I'm not using brass nock locaters but dental-floss.

Bald Eagle

Please tell me you haven't superglued the dental floss, 'cos that's usually what happens to the tab face!

Rabid Hamster

Ironman
once tied I use a little direct heat from a lighter to melt/seal the floss
never had it unravel on me and when removing the floss to replace it when worn ... its a 20 minute job with a very sharp blade to get it off without damaging the serving beneath.

buzz lite beer

My three year old Cartel cordovan tab face on my 18 year old Cavalier Elite tab.
Angel Majesty centre serving, 1000's of arrows shot and with super glued cotton nocking points! :)

Tab 001.jpg

buzz lite beer

I was wondering if there's any useful information I could glean from the pattern of wear on my tab. I'm slightly concerned over the extensive wear on the index finger part. It looks as if it wouldn't take long to wear all the way through.

Looks like you may be "top fingering" (this is excessive downward pressure on the arrow while at full draw), tab damage like that is usually caused by the arrow nock making contact rather than nocking point :)

Rik

Supporter
Supporter

I'm not using brass nock locaters but dental-floss.

I'm guessing from the looks of it that you haven't treated the leather with anything? That will probably shorten the lifespan...

Rik

Supporter
Supporter
I dug out some of my old faces...
IMG_20161112_095910.jpg
Pretty consistent wear patterns. Couple of grooves from the shoulders of the NP. Second finger most worn.
A closer look at the Cordovan face
IMG_20161112_095958.jpg
And at the red one which shows the middle finger wear a little better
IMG_20161112_100019.jpg