Target archers, why don't you do GNAS field archery?

Why don't you do (GNAS) field archery?

• Tried it, don't like it

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • I'm scared of losing/breaking my arrows

Votes: 9 14.1%
  • I don't like the idea

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • There's no field club near me to try it

Votes: 26 40.6%
  • I'm not fit enough to go walking over rough terrain

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I didn't know that GNAS did field archery

Votes: 9 14.1%
  • I prefer NFAS style field archery.

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 17 26.6%

• Total voters

English Bowman

I'm not looking to create a thread where one side of the sport knocks the other side, but I was having a discussion with someone at Raven Field Archers' open field shoot last weekend about how to attract more people to field archery, and I think to do that we need to know what puts people off the sport. So if you are a target archer who doesn't do field archery I'm interested in why not. Just to be clear I consider myself an archer. I shoot both target and field, and can see the merits of both, so I'm not knocking target in favour of field, I'd like to know why you don't do both.

barney41262

Its probably fear of the unknown,there are not many chances to shoot field outside of a comp' for most people. There is a need for more 'have a go' field sessions with instruction and advice,and more practice facilities. i am an associate member at Crawley but can only shoot field on a sunday,for most people that would be no good or not enough.
Once tried and enjoyed most people regardless of bowstyle or age get hooked and wonder why they have never tried it befor.
certainly, in our region (south east) there is a need for a dedicated field club with 7 days a week access.

tel

Fonz Awardee
In a lot of cases it has to be time. I'm currently unable to shoot either of them, but when I was active I spent all the leisure time I could make available shooting target and still found that was hardly enough to maintain a level I was satisfied with - there just wouldn't have been time for field aswell.

C

Compound10

I dabble with it occasionally,but can honestly take or leave it. What I do find is that a lot of the people I know who love field are absolutely passionate about it and maybe it's that gap that shows.

TBH I can't be ##### with getting muddy and getting my kit muddy. Plus some of the rounds are so long I just don't have the time to spend all day shooting field. Any sport where you have to take a lunch is too long for my lifestyle at the moment.

But having said that I have had some fun at foresters and WFAL events. All the field guys tell me it's a lot less boring than shooting target. But to me it's still paper targets with rings in a wood rather than a field.

Not knocking it, just my personal opinion.

Raven's_Eye

Ironman
I haven't done any field archery (yet), and I would like to try. Though not being a driver there isn't really much in range for me. I could walk to the nearest place, but then I'd also have to walk around course and walk all the way back, which can be exhausting (though would make sure I'm fit).
Also I make my own arrows, and atm time for doing that is very limited so I'm also nervous about losing and breaking arrows. I could make a quick set, but then would get annoyed at the amount of banana shaped arrows I would have and cause more misses.
Lastly time for practice is limited, I get one day of the weekend to shoot, and a couple of hours normally on Thursday so not a great deal of time to dish out between both styles.

DeadeyeDel

Supporter
Supporter
Trouble is , is that our club can only shoot at our field venue once a month, am sure if we where able to shoot more often there may be more field converts . Also as a coach we always round off our beginner courses by inviting our beginners to a have ago field morning.....they do.....and they love it..

JohnK

I love shooting barebow field, but have no experience of it other than NFAS shoots and Border Archery's course.

I would be happy to try GNAS field if there were a club nearby. I had a quick search and found the GNAS Field website to see if there was a club nearby, but it really is shockingly badly put together. I don't think there are any clubs nearby but then the club directory isn't exactly up-to-date. There don't seem to be many links to actual club sites, and at least one club (listed as "British Timkin") changed its name in 2011 (Duston Bowmen).

darthTer

Supporter
Ironman
American Shoot
I mainly shoot target, but I'm also a member of Argyll Field archers.

I shoot Trad Barebow only for field....coz it's fun!!!

I don't get to shoot field all that often, mainly due to the location of the Argyll course (2hr drive each way), and the general lack of other courses nearby.

I think the idea of field shooting puts a number of target archers off - they are scared of loosing or damaging their arrows mainly. I think a marked course provides a bit of comfort to them, but the idea of an unmarked course where they have to guess the distance is a touch off putting for them.

BillM

I've done both formats and find FITA is easier. You shoot 3 arrows per end whereas in GNAS there are 4 arrows shot, 2 from the back peg then 2 from the front peg. On the next time round, if you shot from the left peg you then shoot from the right peg. Your foot also has to be in contact with the peg and sometimes the course organiser puts a tree(s) right in line with the peg - so funny stances or long legs required. In FITA you need to be behind the peg and within 1 metre so a bit of leeway there. I find it is much simpler and easier for people to get to grips with. Like Darth, the Inverawe field course is near where I live and BK & I have left Oban, done the 24 targets and been back at Oban in 2 1/2 hours. About the time it takes the Glasgow mob to get there to shoot.

BillM

chuffalump

I would love to give it a go but, having not even started target yet, that might be getting a bit ahead of myself.

No idea if my local club even has field links.

Is this an excuse to buy more bows?

Bald Eagle

I love target archery and I love field archery. I dislike GNAS/FITA field archery but love NFAS field archery. Shooting roundels in a wood doesn't have the same appeal to me as shooting 3D's, after all, it's supposed to be replicating hunting, something we are not allowed to do in this country!

Berny

I shoot Border Archery's course(1 arrow per animal), NFAS & NFF (pretty much NFAS)
& our our own 35 peg/85 2d/3d course (NFAS style & ad hoc friendly-shoot-as-many-as-you-like-from-where-you-like)

but have never shot GNAS or FITA (is the latter the same as IFAA or SFAA in Scotland, etc.?).
It's nice to know the differences, but closeness/availability of these alternatives is a major factor.
I'd like to try them (at least once) & will reserve judgement until i have but I do start from the point
of view that they seem to be predominantly "target archery in the woods"!
I had/have an outstanding invite to shoot with the two nearest SFAA clubs/courses (Wolfstar at East Linton & Drum at Heriot/Crookston)
which I hope to take up when convenient, but this also leads me to my last point & the prevalent barrier to this:

GOVERNING BODIES and the cluster**** create by them, which the SFAA at least are addressing with their "open" shoots, which
on the day allow archers with current membership of another governing body is allowed to shoot with so called "day membership".

I've done both formats and find FITA is easier. You shoot 3 arrows per end whereas in GNAS there are 4 arrows shot, 2 from the back peg then 2 from the front peg. On the next time round, if you shot from the left peg you then shoot from the right peg. Your foot also has to be in contact with the peg and sometimes the course organiser puts a tree(s) right in line with the peg - so funny stances or long legs required. In FITA you need to be behind the peg and within 1 metre so a bit of leeway there. I find it is much simpler and easier for people to get to grips with. Like Darth, the Inverawe field course is near where I live and BK & I have left Oban, done the 24 targets and been back at Oban in 2 1/2 hours. About the time it takes the Glasgow mob to get there to shoot.

BillM

Riceburner

Its probably fear of the unknown,there are not many chances to shoot field outside of a comp' for most people. There is a need for more 'have a go' field sessions with instruction and advice,and more practice facilities. i am an associate member at Crawley but can only shoot field on a sunday,for most people that would be no good or not enough.
Once tried and enjoyed most people regardless of bowstyle or age get hooked and wonder why they have never tried it befor.
certainly, in our region (south east) there is a need for a dedicated field club with 7 days a week access.

umm - Company of 60 (NFAS - Oxshott, near Leatherhead) is open 7 days a week (when the landowners aren't mucking about in there).

(Someone's probably said this already... )

- - - Updated - - -

Why does the poll assume people don't?
I think it's a poll for those who don't. :)

(just realised I shouldn't have voted, as I don't do much target anymore - voted for 'Prefer NFAS' anyway)

D

Didgeplayer

There not a great deal of opportunity for it in Kent. There are 3 GNAS field clubs listed for Kent. One has no contact details, one is by invitation only, and one has no info about field archery on it's website. Not exactly encouraging for GNAS members. I went to NFAS as it seems much more accessible.

Strandline

Voted other, as there may be GNAS field clubs near me my club is target only. There are members of our club who shoot at a NFAS field club not too far away so I have been there for a try-out session and am now joining. So for me it isn't that I prefer NFAS over GNAS field, more that it's what I know.

dvd8n

Supporter
Supporter
AIUK Saviour
you've been given plenty opportunity...;)
It needs to be a weekend when my wife doesn't already have plans for me.

Looking at the calendar, it looks like most of the year is already spoken for :melodrama