Target Days

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
I was looking through the rules of shooting and came across "Target Days". They are "days appointed by the club" ......
Since finding that, I have been unable to find it again to look at it more carefully.
Does anyone know whereabouts it is in the rules of shooting?
Does anyone know what could be described as "non target days" or do they not exist? I was wondering if they are separate from practice days for example.

Whitehart

In the old days designated target days were special and the only club days that archers could shoot classification and handicap scores because they were run to strict GNAS rules for timing and sighter's - some even expected archers to wear tournament clothing i.e. Green and White.

Today most clubs in their constitution designate every shooting day a club target day, so archers can claim club records, classifications and handicaps at any time.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
In the old days designated target days were special and the only club days that archers could shoot classification and handicap scores because they were run to strict GNAS rules for timing and sighter's - some even expected archers to wear tournament clothing i.e. Green and White.
lol, that could describe my club only 10 years ago for our club trophy shoots...

ben tarrow

Target days are described in rule 313.
If you dont have a copy, search "archerygb rules of shooting" for a downloadable (and searchable) pdf copy

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Cheers Bimble, I have a copy but having read it once, I have been unable to find it since..... it's an age thing... or whatever they call salinity these days.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Would I be correct in saying that the AGB Rules of Shooting document does not mention specifically shooting days that are non target days?
If that is correct, what does your club do on the days when perhaps a few archers are shooting for a session with a coach or shooting for their own enjoyment? In particular,how would that shooting be described as within the rules of shooting?
I am not trying to be nit picky but I have been asked about this by a recent beginner and I cannot find anything to back up what I feel is a non target day.

Whitehart

A non target day was one that you just turned up at the club and practiced, for a day or evening - your scores did not count for anything.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
Our club has a shooting diary in which there are "club evenings" (general shooting), and days with designated rounds (usually for a postal or club league). But we also allow rounds to be shot by archers as long as:
1) there's more than one of them shooting the round,
2) a scoresheet is filled in and signed for all archers shooting the round,
3) the Rules of Shooting are obeyed,

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Thanks both,
Bimble it does seem from your post that the club has control of Target days with clearly defined rules,,,, as we would expect.
It also seems that you have other sessions where there is still control over what happens but not to the same degree. (I do not mean less safe!)
The issue I see might be where you say 3) "the Rules of Shooting are obeyed."
The person I mention in my post expects Rules of Shooting in their entirety to be applied at all times. Everything to the book.

bimble

Supporter
Fonz Awardee
Ironman
AIUK Saviour
Well, I was more thinking of those rules that describe how a round should be shot. Targets at the correct distances, sighter/practice rules, not scoring your own arrows, that sort of thing.

Because the majority of the Rules of Shooting cover competitions, I mean, there is nothing saying you can't put a target out at 53 yds and shoot that... it isn't in the Rules of Shooting, but it isn't against anything... unless you were shooting a round and therefore are out of tolerance.

geoffretired

Supporter
Supporter
Hi Bimble. Thanks again. Yes, that is how I see it... I call those rules the ones that try to prevent cheating. Perhaps that isn't exactly true, but a lot do seems as if that's why they are there.