Target net distance from garage door

PeteH

I'm going to shoot my 36lb recurve at about 5m range in my garage using a foam target. I have ordered target safety netting that is double the width of my metal up and over door. I have a couple of questions.

1) Am I best to keep the net flat and use as double thickness or suspend it all on one wire like a drawn back house curtain?

2) I'm using Easton plat plus aluminium arrows. What distance should I place the net from the garage door?

thanks for any advice

Pete

Last edited:

Valkamai

1). Think it's designed to be used loosely so all on one wire.

2). Depends on how long your arrows are.

Best option from 5m is don't miss the boss. :)

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

PeteH

Yes I like the advice about not missing the boss! The netting is more to protect the garage door when my daughter shoots. She is shooting a 20lb compound, 24 inch arrows. Mine are 29 inch

Pete

AndyW

If it was me I would hang some old carpet behind the net as it's not going to be on display. The curtain should be as loose as possible don't draw it taught and leave an arrow length between the net and the door. If you go with carpet put it behind the net and you could move the net closer to the door as it won't be getting through that.

Erkat

I may have misunderstood but are you saying you will be shooting towards the garage door from within the garage or through the garage door towards the back wall of the garage?

If the former then I strongly advise against it. I have put an ACC through a corrugated steel wall of a sports hall at 20yds before and that stuff is thicker than your average metal garage door.

Also, nets do not prevent arrows from passing through, I have seen many arrows go straight through a net. In terms of hanging a net you should factor in at least twice the width of the area you want to protect to allow for the net to gather loosely. You don't want it tight. If it's tight there is more chance of pass through and the ability of the net to depower the arrow will be reduced.

Apologies in advance if I've misunderstood the setup.

PeteH

I may have misunderstood but are you saying you will be shooting towards the garage door from within the garage or through the garage door towards the back wall of the garage?

If the former then I strongly advise against it. I have put an ACC through a corrugated steel wall of a sports hall at 20yds before and that stuff is thicker than your average metal garage door.

Also, nets do not prevent arrows from passing through, I have seen many arrows go straight through a net. In terms of hanging a net you should factor in at least twice the width of the area you want to protect to allow for the net to gather loosely. You don't want it tight. If it's tight there is more chance of pass through and the ability of the net to depower the arrow will be reduced.

Apologies in advance if I've misunderstood the setup.
Hi Erkat

no apology needed. Yes I had planned to shoot inside the garage towards the garage door. I've ordered net twice the width of the garage. I chose that direction because that keeps the exposed plumbing behind me. We rarely use the up and over door so it sounds like I need to get some thick 8x4 plywood panels too. Thanks for the warning. Better safe...

D

Deleted member 7654

Yeah, I've had the same dilemma. About an arrow length should be plenty, maybe down to half an arrow length.
Mind I had one muppet who missed the boss with a Warbow arrow bodkin point ...
Straight through the net and garage door.
I hammer the holes back closed, a blob of caulk and a touch of paint patches it up.
Del

AndyW

Some old carpet will be fine for what your planning to shoot. In fact I'd put the net behind the carpet to avoid getting holes in it.

hening

Some old carpet will be fine for what your planning to shoot. In fact I'd put the net behind the carpet to avoid getting holes in it.
Make very sure you cant get the arrows bouncing from the wall. I?ve seen arows bounce from the girders in the sportshall at 20 yds and reach back to the shooting line.
Henning