Target practice

Snorrarcisco

Dear all

I would like to get a target so I could get some garden practise and although the cats are tempting I prefer something less messy. My bow is a 32 pound recurve one and I mainly shoot at 20/30 yards. Should I go for a straw based one or a foam one? I am on a slightly tight budget or should I try to build my own stuff?

Sorry for the question but been bugging me for a while

fanio

first thing you should do is make sure it is safe to shoot there. This goes (almost) without saying but worth mentioning again. Some on here might say dont shoot at home, but many also have "home ranges" I(including me).

For that bow a round straw boss should be fine. I think the foam bosses are generally better, especially if you're shooting carbon arrows.

If you're good with making things, you may be able to make something yourself, but I found it was not worthwhile, given that you can get one of the above for less than ?100.

gorbalite

A square wooden frame made from old floor boards,with chicken wire stapled on to front and back.then stuffed with plastic bags.You will need to cut out a letter box sized slot on one of the floorboards to push the plastic through.It takes a lot of bags.I found it easier to go to the nearest industrial estate and ask if I could take the plastic wrapping from the pallets which had been put in the skip.I have not experianced any arrow damage from the chicken wire.The target can be left out in all weathers.Most of the material can be found in the skips and if you are lucky even the chicken wire

Antrowe

Layers of cardboard (24"x10" stacked 25" high) tightly bound with lots of cling film, or a box tightly filled with old clothes/ rags, also layers of carpet end on within a wooden frame are all good cheap targets.
Straw targets (90x90x5cm square cheap ones) dont last that long and hate rain but are great for low poundage bows. Layered foam targets are best in my opinion for price and durability (a certain wizard named shop seems to be the cheapest place to get one).
It is best for your pocket to make your own but if your arrows start to go too deep make another one quickly before you start tearing fletchings off.
I like the idea of Pallet/bale wrap above as it is waterproof and clingy (so it should stop smooth arrows quickly). TP said I could have their Ton bags for free that have rips in them and also their bales of waste pallet wrap. All I need now is a free needle and thread.

Craftsman

I'm with Antrowe on this.
I have a 4' x 4' x 10" cardboard box filled with more cardboard and old carpet pieces.
I have been using this for some years now, moving the target every so often to avoid the soft spot.

Snorrarcisco

Thank you very much for the replies. I have been checking online and the cardboard box sounds a fair and very cheap option. Filling is the matter and I was wondering as I do have some roofing insulation material at home would this do the trick? Its not perfect and I am talking about the one who feels and looks pretty much like a sponge, I believe it is commonly known as "quilt" insulation roofing. Would this do the trick?